Kasian si Tommy ini. Bolak balik imel tsb beredar di internet sejak
97. Dipikir2 kalo bener, alangkah begonya si Tommy ini sbg seorang
businessman kan?

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/hilfiger.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa121698.htm

Ada banyak sekali rumor palsu di internet. Sebaiknya berhati2
mensikapinya. Nanti seperti kisah bakso tikus. Kasian orang yang
terfitnah. Ini salah satu artikel di NYT bbrp th lalu.

Kalau saya mendapat berita provokatif, biasanya saya ricek lagi. Entah
lewat internet (www.snopes.com atau urbanlegends.about.com/) atau
lewat teman/organisasi yang berkompeten.

SAlah satu ciri false news adalah suruhan memforward imel tsb ke
sebanyak2nya orang (it's spam!). Kemudian kalau mengatasnamakan
lembaga, tidak ada no telfon atau website resmi yg dicantumkan.

Kalau berita itu benar biasanya ada reference page-nya, entah merujuk
ke web berita resmi atau lembaga yang relevan.

salam,
---------------

http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/051597lies.html

May 15, 1997
Spread of Internet Lies Spooks Large Organizations
By ALEX GRAMLING

Jessica Mydek's brain tumor is causing a major headache for the
American Cancer Society.

Jessica is the protagonist of an e-mail chain letter that purports to
document her battle against "an acute and very rare case of cerebral
carcinoma." According to one version of the e-mail, doctors have given
the plucky 7 year old just six months to live.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS

Of course, Jessica does not really exist; the maudlin tale is a hoax
-- and a rather uninspired one, at that -- but it does have an
implausible twist that keeps Jessica's story chugging along on the
Internet: a promise that the American Cancer Society will donate three
cents to cancer research each time the e-mail is forwarded.

Much to the chagrin of cancer society officials, there is little hope
that the chain letter (unlike poor Jessica) will ever die. What's
more, it's generating inquiries to cancer society offices and to the
organization's Web site from people who want to know if the story's
far-fetched fundraising angle is legitimate.

The repeated inquiries prompted the cancer society to formulate an
official response to the prank. In late March, the organization posted
a statement on its home page labeling the chain letter a fraud and
expressing outrage that "the American Cancer Society's name has been
used to manipulate the online public."

If the chain letter were making the rounds via the postal service,
cancer society officials admit they wouldn't give it a second thought.
But the speed and ease with which lies, rumors, innuendo and
old-fashioned folklore can travel over the Internet is starting to
spook corporate America and other organizations whose reputations and
public goodwill are threatened by fast-spreading lies.

And rightfully so, says Don Middleberg of Manhattan-based Middleberg
and Associates, an online public relations agency that is retained by
several companies to monitor what's being said about them on the
Internet and online services. His charge is to sniff out and help
extinguish any Internet-based rumors that could tarnish a company's
reputation or buffet its bottom line.

A lot of this stuff is malicious. If companies let these rumors fester
without responding to them, they can get hurt.

Don Middleberg
Middleberg and Associates

Many corporate tall tales on the Web are so ridiculous that they
aren't cause for worry, says Middleberg. As an example of a bogus but
benign Net legend, he cites a parody of a news report by The
Associated Press that Microsoft had purchased the Catholic Church.

But damaging rumors also abound in newsgroups and chat rooms all
across the Internet, says Middleberg, who adds: "A lot of this stuff
is malicious. If companies let these rumors fester without responding
to them, they can get hurt."

One current corporate victim of Net shenanigans is Tommy Hilfiger. His
designer clothes company is being tarred in newsgroups and on Internet
bulletin boards by a hoary urban legend that revolves around an
alleged appearance by Hilfiger on the Oprah Winfrey show.

According to one version of the tale, Hilfiger made racist remarks in
an interview with Winfrey, including a statement that he didn't want
blacks and Asians wearing his clothes.

In fact, the interview never took place. Folklorists say the unfounded
story has been circulating for years, with different designers' names
being substituted.

Even so, the Hilfiger-as-racist version is reaching a new generation
of ardent believers on the Internet, where it's been traveling of late
with renewed vigor under the heading BOYCOTT TOMMY HILFIGER.

In one recent retelling of the rumor on a University of Kentucky
student news list, a woman identified only as Sharon writes: "Now that
we all know that Hilfiger is a racist, my suggestion is that we and
all of our friends should BOYCOTT the Tommy Hilfiger line. PLEASE
FORWARD THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS."

Deeply concerned by the stubborn persistence and rapid spread of this
and similar stories on the Internet, the Hilfiger Company went on the
offensive. In a rebuttal campaign covered by many news organizations,
the company posted its own version of events in several newsgroups
where the Hilfiger rumors were being discussed.

The company is now declaring its online response strategy a success.
"The circulation of the false information on the Internet appears to
be declining," according to a company statement.

But Web watchers are dubious of that claim. Brendan O'Malley, who
tracks this type of folklore for the Urban Legends site on America
Online, says it's all but impossible to quash an interesting or
unusual rumor on the Internet.

"The more you talk about these things, the more they get spread
around," says O'Malley. "If you put up a posting saying 'No, this
isn't true,' then 20 new people are going to see it, and they're going
to want to tell their friends about it."

If that's the case, how should a company or organization respond to
such attacks?

"If I were someone at Tommy Hilfiger," O'Malley says, "I'd let the
whole thing drop."

That's what officials at the American Cancer Society plan to do. The
organization's vice president for communications, Steve Nicholson,
says the society will soon remove any mention of little Jessica from
its home page.

Will the move help put the tyke in her final resting place? Probably
not, Nicholson admits.

"As long as this is bouncing around on the Web," he sighs, "I'm not
sure we'll ever hear the end of it."

--- In ppiindia@yahoogroups.com, Harry Adinegara
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Inilah namanya rampant racism, dimana mana ya tetap aja ada.
>

> Ngak tahunya kalau abad ini bakalan jadi eranya orang Asia, maksudku
eranya bangsa Tionghoa. Bukan jadi rasis ini, tapi ada baiknya kalau
orang lain, selain kulit putih bisa mengimbangi orang bule, bahkan
dalam 2 dasa warsa lagi Tiongkok akan jadi negara super/mega power,
selain kekuatan ekonomi juga kekuatan tehnis dan persenjataan akan
mengungguli si Amrik.

Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ryu7JD/LpQLAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi