http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/10/AR2006081000152.html?referrer=email

British Police Thwart Major Terror Plot
Britain and the U.S. Raise Security Threat Levels

By Fred Barbash and John Ward Anderson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, August 10, 2006; 6:18 AM

British authorities said today they had disrupted a "major terrorist plot" to
blow up passenger flights between the United Kingdom and the United States,
prompting a security clampdown at British and U.S. international airports and a
cascade of delays in trans-Atlantic flights generally.

London's Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Stephenson said 21 people had been
arrested in London and in Birmingham England after a months-long investigation
into what he said was a plan for "mass murder on an unimaginable scale." He did
not say why the announcement was made today.

U.S. officials raised the "threat level" for air transport to red, the highest
alert.

Passengers at Dulles airport in Washington and New York's John F. Kennedy
Airport were told to expect intensified searches, considerable delays and new
restrictions on carry-on items, with particular attention to liquids of all
types, especially liquids with a gel-like consistency.

Medicines and baby formula was permitted but at airports in Britain, passengers
were being asked to taste these liquids in the presence of security guards.

American Airlines canceled six Thursday flights between the United States and
London to accommodate the delays at Heathrow airport, spokesman John Hotard
told wire services.

American held three London-bound morning flights, one each from Chicago, Boston
and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport. To balance those
cancellations, the airline also dropped three afternoon or evening flights
scheduled to travel from London to those U.S. cities, Hotard said.

"We believe that the terrorists' aim was to smuggle explosives on to airplanes
in hand luggage and to detonate these in flight," said Scotland Yard's
Stephenson. "We also believe that the intended targets were flights from the
United Kingdom to the United States of America.

In Washington, Chertoff said in a statement that "we believe that these arrests
[in London] have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that
the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted." "To
defend further against any remaining threat from this plot, we will also raise
the threat level to High, or Orange, for all commercial aviation operating in
or destined for the United States," Chertoff said.

He said "currently, there is no indication . . . of plotting within the United
States."

"Consistent with these higher threat levels, the Transportation Security
Administration is coordinating with federal partners, airport authorities and
commercial airlines on expanding the intensity of existing security
requirements," Chertoff said.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are
prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being
carried on the airplane."

He said the changes take effect at 4 a.m. local time across the United States
and will be undated as warranted.

On the Web Site of Dulles International Airport in Virginia, a notice was
posted informing passengers of new restrictions. "Effective immediately. . . .
passengers may not bring liquids or gels of any size at the security checkpoint
or in the aircraft cabin - including beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion,
toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency," it said.

"Such items may be transported in checked baggage," it said. "Passengers may
have baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling.
Passengers may also have prescription medication labeled with a name which
matches the name on the passenger's ticket, insulin, or other essential
non-prescription medications. Beverages purchased beyond the security
checkpoints must be consumed before boarding the aircraft. "

Here is the text of Chertoff's statement:

"The Department of Homeland Security is taking immediate steps to increase
security measures in the aviation sector in coordination with heightened
security precautions in the United Kingdom.

" Over the last few hours, British authorities have arrested a significant
number of extremists engaged in a substantial plot to destroy multiple
passenger aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States.
Currently, there is no indication, however, of plotting within the United
States. We believe that these arrests have significantly disrupted the threat,
but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot
completely thwarted.

"For that reason, the United States Government has raised the nation's threat
level to Severe, or Red, for commercial flights originating in the United
Kingdom bound for the United States. This adjustment reflects the Critical, or
highest, alert level that has been implemented in the United Kingdom.

"To defend further against any remaining threat from this plot, we will also
raise the threat level to High, or Orange, for all commercial aviation
operating in or destined for the United States. Consistent with these higher
threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating with
federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on expanding the
intensity of existing security requirements.

" Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are
prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being
carried on the airplane. This determination will be constantly evaluated and
updated when circumstances warrant. These changes will take effect at 4:00 AM
local time across the country. Travelers should also anticipate additional
security measures within the airport and at screening checkpoints.

"These measures will continue to assure that our aviation system remains safe
and secure. Travelers should go about their plans confidently, while
maintaining vigilance in their surroundings and exercising patience with
screening and security officials.

"The United States and the United Kingdom are fully united and resolute in this
effort and in our ongoing efforts to secure our respective homelands."

The announcement came a little more than a year after terrorists set off bombs
on London's subway and bus system, killing 52 people.

Anderson reported from Paris.

British Home Secretary John Reid said the operation was aimed at bringing down
"a number of aircraft"--reportedly at least ten-- "through mid-flight
explosions, causing a considerable loss of life." The plot, he said, "was a
very significant one indeed."

While elevating the threat level, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff
said officials had no indication that the plot included attacks based in the
U.S.

In Northwest Washington, a tight cordon of police security was thrown up around
the British Embassy compound on Massachusetts Avenue.

Intensifying the alarm in Britain were memories, still fresh, of a terrorist
attack on London's transport system in July, 2005 that killed more than 50
people and injured scores of others.

Officials at Heathrow Airport, one of the busiest in the world, appeared on
television and asked people not to travel to the airport at all if possible. As
they spoke, crowds of travelers were already clogging the corridors and lounges
at Heathrow and at other British terminals.

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi