Reflection: Why there are no volunteers sign up to fight corruption, poverty
and backwarness in Indonesia?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20060812.G04&irec=3

Volunteers sign up to fight Israel

Police might have vowed to prevent citizens from leaving for Lebanon but at
least 150 people registered to join a declared jihad against Israel at the
Indonesian Mujahidin Council (MMI) office in Surakarta, Central Java on Friday.

One of the fighters, Mohammad Arif, a 35-year-old native of Surakarta, said he
was ready to fight alongside the Palestine people against Israel.

"I feel that I'm being called to fight there. This war has insulted my pride as
a Muslim," said the man who has no skill in weaponry or fighting.

The fighters said they would ask the Indonesian Military (TNI) and the National
Police Headquarters to train them to use weapons (see photo).

"If they (TNI and the police) don't want to train us, we will be trained by
Ambon and Poso war veterans," claimed Adi Basuki, who helped set up the post,
referring to conflict-torn cities Ambon in Maluku and Poso in Central Sulawesi.

Adi, who is also the spokesman for MMI Surakarta, expressed hope the government
would facilitate their mission in the Middle East. "Although we've raised our
own funds, we hope the government will assist us," he told The Jakarta Post.

Adi said the MMI had opened five registration posts for those wanting to fight
in Lebanon. Apart from Surakarta, the registration is open in Surabaya,
Yogyakarta, Jakarta and Padang. Those who register, he said, would be selected
for training in Yogyakarta before being sent to war.

National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Anton Bachrul Alam said Tuesday that the
police would stop volunteers wanting to go to Lebanon, saying it would only
worsen the situation there and it was prohibited by the state.

"Their departure for the Middle East would be a violation of our state
Constitution, which says that Indonesia should proactively contribute to world
peace," he was quoted as saying by AFP. "The volunteers' departure is certainly
not contributing to peace and therefore is a violation of the Constitution."
(JP/Blontank Poer

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi