ROBERT KUTTNER
> A convenient threat
>
> By Robert Kuttner | August 12, 2006
>

> DICK CHENEY was certainly farsighted when he
declared Wednesday that
> Ned Lamont's victory over Joe Lieberman would
comfort ``Al Qaeda types."

> Voila! Only a day later, Al Qaeda was revealed as
plotting to bring
> down 10 planes!
>
> I thought that was a nice parody line -- until I
picked up yesterday's
> Wall Street Journal. There, editorial page writer
Daniel Henninger, in
> a column headed, ``Democrats Knifed Lieberman on Eve
of Airliner
> Plot," goes beyond parody.
>
> Henninger writes, ``[G]etting on a US airliner, who
would you rather
> have in the Senate formulating policy towards this
threat -- Ned
> Lamont or Joe Lieberman?"
>
> We will face this story line between now and the
November election,
> and beyond: As the terror threat rises, you can't
trust critics of the
> Bush administration to keep America safe. The war in
Iraq, the nuclear
> designs of Iran, Hezbollah's rocketing of Israel,
new diabolical
> tactics by Al Qaeda, and the general ideological and
military menace
> of militant Islamism, are all jumbled into a single
all-purpose word
> -- waronterror. And if you're against the Bush
strategy, you are of
> course with the terrorists.
>
> ``Bipartisan" Democrats such as Lieberman, who help
President Bush,
> are good guys. Those who question Bush's strategy
help our enemies and
> make America less safe. The November elections, and
the future of our
> security, will depend on whether Americans see
through this blarney.
> If the right succeeds in persuading voters that this
is all one
> undifferentiated mess requiring Bush-style bravado,
America is in even
> deeper trouble.
>
> There are really several different policy challenges
and debates here.
> If you disentangle them, it adds up to a stunning
indictment of Bush.

> Did Al Qaeda have any connection to Saddam Hussein?
(No.)

> Was Bush's Iraq war a debilitating diversion of
attention and
> resources from the more important ongoing battle
against Al Qaeda? (Yes.)

> Did Bush spend most of 2001 blowing off warnings
about Al Qaeda,
> shutting out people like national security official
Richard Clarke who
> actually knew something about terrorism, and
ignoring escalating
> warnings of a plot in progress? (Yes.)
>
> Has the Iraq war made America a more effective force
for stability and
> against militant Islamism? (No.)
>
> Did Bush's grand strategy advance the cause of
Middle East democracy
> and civility? (No.)
>
> Does Bush's larger design for the Middle East make
Israel more secure?
> (No.)
>
> Can we have effective levels of surveillance against
terrorism and
> still remain a constitutional democracy with
liberties for law-abiding
> Americans? (Yes -- but this administration is
needlessly jeopardizing
> those liberties, and bungling intelligence
operations despite expanded
> resources.)
>
> Does Bush's contempt for government impede his
administration's
> ability to use government to promote national
security? (Yes.)

> With hundreds of millions of ordinary Muslims
increasingly disgusted
> and alienated by Bush's policy, can't we just settle
this thing once
> and for all, with an Armageddon to take out Syria,
Iran, Hezbollah,
> and Al Qaeda, in one fell swoop? (No!)
>
> This argument isn't about who supports terrorists.
It's about the
> right strategy for protecting America. And ever
since this president
> took office, his policies have set back that cause.
>
> Undaunted, the right will be relentlessly pounding
one story:
> Republicans will keep you safe, Democrats won't.
Meanwhile, the far
> right allied with Vice President Cheney and
Secretary of Defense
> Donald Rumsfeld will be pounding Bush to widen the
war and compound
> the damage.
>
> The administration is now using the London arrests
as vindication of
> extraordinary police and intelligence powers.
Supposedly, Democrats'
> qualms about illegal domestic spying ordered by Bush
would disable
> such counterintelligence. That's nonsense. The USA
Patriot Act,
> expanding surveillance, was passed by overwhelming
bipartisan
> majorities. In some circumstances, it requires a
secret court to
> approve surveillance. This approval is virtually
always given. The
> illegal spying explicitly violated what Congress
enacted and Bush
> signed. Many Republicans oppose it.
>
> So, to answer Henninger: Getting on an airplane, I'd
much rather have
> Lamont in the Senate, and either Democrats or
traditional
> foreign-policy Republicans in the Congressional
majority and the White
> House.
>
> After more than five years of Bush's blundering
grandiosity, a
> majority of Americans are increasingly skeptical of
his policies.
> America has never faced anything like the
hydra-headed threat of
> Islamist terrorism. Bush's entire performance, from
assumption to
> execution, has placed America at greater risk. To
say that is not to
> abet terrorism, and Bush's critics should be saying
it loud and clear.

> Correction: Last week I wrote that the Senate's
investigation of tax
> cheating was initiated by Democratic Senator Carl
Levin and later
> endorsed by his Republican counterpart, Senator Norm
Coleman. The
> investigation was proposed by Levin, but conducted
on a bipartisan basis.

> Robert Kuttner is co-editor of The American
Prospect. His column
> appears regularly in the Globe.
>

> © Copyright
<http://www.boston.com/help/bostoncom_info/copyright>