Thursday, 18 April, 2002, 12:40 GMT 13:40 UK
CASTRO'S DAUGHTER HOSTS MIAMI CHAT SHOW

A Cuban dissident, who is making herself heard through a Miami talk radio show,
is likely to strike a chord with the country's military dictator.
Not only is Alina Fernandez the nightly voice of opposition, but she is also
one of Fidel Castro's illegitimate children.
Speaking to BBC World Service, she told of her new media career and why she
cannot love a man who has forced her into exile and destroyed her beloved Cuba.

"It is many years since I have seen my father," Ms Fernandez told the BBC's
Outlook programme.
"I feel pity as I think that he should be already out [of power]. My only hope
was that he would be able to bring democracy to Cuba while he was still in
power, but he's not doing that."
Born as a result of Castro's summer affair with his comrade, Natalia Revuelta,
Alina Fernandez is now amongst her father's biggest critics.
"I am a mother, a Cuban and an exiled person and that is the way that I feel.
It's been a long time since I felt like a daughter," she asserted.

Through her radio talk show, entitled Simplemente Alina - Simply Alina, she
aims to give a mainstream voice to exiled Cubans living in America.
By allowing callers to talk freely about the issues that affect them, Ms
Fernandez openly tackles the consequences of her father's strict regime.
"This is a simple show," she explained. "I try to have guests to learn from and
we talk about Cuban history."
"As a Cuban exile and as a woman I feel anger. He [Castro] is the cause for why
I am in America - it's the same reason as many other exiles."
Ms Fernandez was 10 years old when she was told that the bearded man who
regularly visited, "stinking" of cigar smoke was her father.
"I remember him then as a shy and tender big man with a hairy face," she
recalled.
However, she became increasingly aware of her country's problems and suspicious
of her father's involvement.
"I had people standing in line waiting to give me letters for him.
They had many problems and so it made the visits a little suspicious and I
began to think that perhaps everything wasn't right in my country."

Raised by her mother, she recalls how despite his absence from the family home,
her authoritative father's regime still shaped her life.
"In Cuba he was almost like God. He was omnipresent - when he wasn't at home,
he was on TV."
As an adult Ms Fernandez seized every opportunity she could to speak out
against her father.
"Any time that I could denounce something I did," she said
Then in 1993, armed with false papers and disguised as a Spanish tourist, she
escaped from Cuba.
"I landed in America at the end of the year," she explained.
"As Christmas is a dead time for news, the media helped me and I was able to
put some public pressure on to get my daughter out."

Fury at her father's regime may have initially driven her from her homeland,
but Ms Fernandez is certain that one day she will return.
"I hope that every Cuban out of Cuba will go back," she asserted.
"We have a lot of experience to bring back. We have a lot of will to rebuild
the country."

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi