>Who Won and Who Lost and Why
>
>by Reuven Kaminer
>
>[submitted to portside by the author, who lives in
>Jerusalem]
> August 17,2006
>
>Who Won?
>
>For anyone confused about the results of the war in
>Lebanon, what with both Israel and the Hezbollah
>claiming victory, the following rule of thumb should
be
>helpful. Those claiming an Israeli victory and a
>Hezbollah defeat are basing themselves on things that
>are supposedly going to happen in the future. George
W.
>is the most prestigious representative of the "Israel
>won" school of thought. He said this. "How can
>Hezbollah claim victory when they are going to be
>replaced?" Georgie, losing still another battle with
>the English language, must have meant "displaced."
>Experts on GWB explain that he quite often confuses
>things that he wants to happen with things that are
>actually happening.
>
>Those, who state that Israel lost and Hezbollah won,
>base themselves on what happened, and this is of
>course, the only reliable basis for analysis.
>
>The extent of the loss and the significance of the
>Israeli defeat are, of course, open to discussion.
>
>And now, I have to make a confession. A few days back
>wrote an article for our Hebrew website, "Hagada
>Ha'smolit" [LeftBank]. Pained and disgusted at the
war
>and the steady stream of the official lies, I said
some
>very unpleasant things about the state of Israeli
>society. The key motif of that article was that even
>the most consistent opponents of Israeli policy over
>the years could not have known the depths to which
>Israeli society had sunken. The blistering indictment
>that I presented there is so severe as to pose the
>question as to whether there are still some redeeming
>features in Israeli society. Fearing to be
>misunderstood on so critical an issue, I wanted to
>rewrite the English text, though I knew that,
>eventually, I would have to come clean and write the
>sad and bitter truth for my English readers. I had
>simply hoped that I could find a way to balance the
>indictment by finding a few just people and events in
>Sodom. If you have not noticed we are in Sodom and
>Gomorrah.
>
>Three items in the news yesterday showed me that I
was
>silly and ...
>
>Item one revealed that Dan Halutz, the IDF Chief of
>Staff had called his bank at 12:00, three hours after
>the July 12 incident, in order to sell all his
stocks.
>The Attorney-General decided that very morning to
file
>charges against Ha'negbi, one of the leaders of
Kadima
>and the present chair of the powerful Knesset
committee
>on Security and Foreign Affairs, for handing out
civil
>service jobs to party hacks. On the same morning, the
>police requested the Attorney-General to file charges
>against Haim Ramon, the Minister of Justice (!), for
>sexual harassment.
>
>Of course, these gentlemen richly deserve the anguish
>and humiliation that they should be feeling (but do
not
>be certain they do feel anything of the sort).
>Moreover, this is just one more instance of some
>flotsam and jetsam being expunged from dark and deep
>currents.
>
>The plain fact of the matter is that, even as
>consistent political and moral opponents of the
Israeli
>regime, we did not and could not have known that the
>rot and the decay in the interstices of Israeli
society
>had proceeded to a level that challenges the
>imagination.
>
>Of course, we are not concerned with the peccadilloes
>of this or that politician or general. We are
concerned
>with the recent formation of a national consensus
>enthusiastically supporting a war that should have
been
>seen immediately as a wild and irresponsible project
>launched by irresponsible politicians and arrogant
>generals. There is no need to repeat here all the
>aspects of this debacle, recognized as such by almost
>every part of Israeli society. The details of the
>disaster are becoming clearer day by day. But it is
>our duty to ask the more basic question of WHY this
>happened! There is a sickness in this land and those
>who cherish the land and its people, those who see it
>as their homeland, cannot avoid facing the whole
truth.

>Root Causes - Real Ones
>
>These, in broad outline, are the root causes of the
>deep and abiding crisis in Israeli society.
>
>One: Israeli politics have been thoroughly
militarized
>to the point that all major issues are analyzed
>exclusively in military terms and the employment of
>brute power. The military and its thought patterns
has
>permeated the body politic and the civilian echelon
>rendering civilian control of the armed forces a sad
>joke.
>
>The public is led to believe that all problems and
>difficulties can be resolved only through the use of
>force. The assumption is that the IDF, were it
released
>from moralistic considerations and political wimps
>could take care of business. Thus, the persistence of
>unresolved difficulties is understood by public as a
>result of lack of will on the part of the civilian
>echelon. In times of tension or military operations,
>the first concern of the government is to convince
the
>public that it has given the military a free hand.
The
>politicians are in mortal fear that any general
accuse
>the government that prevented the army from reaping
the
>fruits of victory. All the government has to do is to
>"Let the IDF win!"
>
>Two: The pre-existing special alliance between the
>United States and Israel has been upgraded. Israel
has
>become a full scale operational partner in the "war
on
>terror" and has been assigned specific targets in the
>crusade of the Bush administration against the axis
of
>evil. Most Israelis are convinced that they are
>receiving fantastic diplomatic, military and
logistical
>support for doing something that they would have to
do
>anyway. Indeed, how could Israel not respond with a
>deep sense of gratitude and solidarity when the only
>major superpower deepens the special alliance and
>converts it to a mutual interest in battling "Islamo-
>Fascism." Israel believes that, with the security of
>the U.S. commitment, its existential problems are
over.

>The political and military elites, including the
>intellectuals, who should know something about the
>reliability of the United States, have enrolled
Israel
>in a project that might well end in a major
>catastrophe. Israel is quite satisfied with itself
>about lining up with Bush, though it does not have
the
>faintest idea of the objectives and the chances of
>reaching them.
>
>Three: It is impossible to oppress an entire people
>for 40 years and not to succumb to the ultimate
>rationalization for such action. Anti-Arab racism is
>endemic in Israeli society. This racism is so
>pervasive that it covers the political landscape like
>cloud and infects all the thinking and the attitudes
of
>the overwhelming majority of Israelis. There are
>endless variations on the never ending litany of the
>faults of the Arabs - some more sophisticated for the
>more educated strata and more vocal and vicious for
the
>masses.
>
>Four: In a society busily engaged in privatizing its
>very soul, the concept of dedicated public service
>becomes anachronistic. Everyone is involved in
his/her
>own career, looking out for advancement and pursuing
>more monetary reward. If you are smart, you
understand
>the value of public relations. If you want
recognition
>you will find your way to the media. Truth is
>irrelevant, and everyone knows that what counts is
what
>gets to the media.
>
>These broad and far reaching developments: rampant
>militarism, abject subservience to Washington, deep
>seated racism and careerism are the deeper reasons
why
>Israel embarked on the recent adventure in Lebanon.
>Despite the tremendous sigh of relief all over the
>country after the cease fire went into place, the
>hawks, the generals and their stooges are already
>explaining that the next round is inevitable and it
>won't take long in coming.
>
>The Risks of Leadership
>
>With a slight nuance here and there, the Zionist left
>rallied to the flag of national unity when Olmert and
>Peretz blew the bugle. However, from the very
beginning
>there were some brave souls who disassociated
>themselves from their leadership by showing up at the
>demos by thousands of the militant left which opposed
>the war from day one.
>
>At a meeting of Peace Now activists on July 24, 2006,
>there was a clear division between supporters and
>opponents of the war. Supporters of the war rejected
>suggestion that Peace Now, at the least, come out in
>support of a cease fire. The movement leadership
argued
>that its supporters would not understand such a
>position and that it was impossible to know whether
>the demand for a cease fire might not help
>Hezbollah.(!?)
>
>Public opinion counted Peace Now with those sections
of
>the left who had seen the light and returned to the
>fold of the nation. But as the war dragged on and
>there were signs that victory would be evasive or not
>be achieved at all, three central figures of the
>Zionist left (Amos Oz, A.B.Yehushua and David
Grossman)
>came out in support of a cease fire on Sunday,August
6.
>In parallel development, Peace Now and MERETZ
activists
>called, in open defiance of their leaderships, for a
>demonstration on Thursday, August 11,supporting the
>demand for a cease-fire. As the week went on,
pressure
>was building on the recalcitrant leaderships to take
>position. By Thursday morning, the break away, grass
>roots initiative had been adopted by both leaderships
>as an official movement activity calling for quick
end
>to the war .
>
>During the week, there were insistent rumors that
>Israel was going to launch a mass land offensive
drive
>to the Litani River, any minute. This had the effect
of

http://mail.yahoo.com

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi