http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20060830.E02&irec=1

Say no to conservative Islam
Aguswandi, Banda Aceh

If ever there was a discourse about "them and us" in Indonesia, it should be
about "them" who want to promote conservative Islam through sharia that
oppresses women and is antidemocratic and against multiculturalism, and "us"
who want to promote civil Islam, secular democracy and a multicultural,
cosmopolitan society. Those of us in the "us" category have to take a stand on
this now before it is too late. We have to parade our views, demonstrate and
speak out immediately and clearly against "them".

Indonesian Islam has been unique in its compatibility with democracy. It has
been celebrated for its moderation in contrast to the conservative, extreme
version that is practiced in the Middle East. Despite being in the majority,
Muslims in Indonesia have lived happily side by side with Indonesians of all
other religious beliefs.

However, that might not be the case in the future. It is already not the case
in some parts of Indonesia. Now, as in many other parts of the Muslim world,
Islam is under threat from the tidal wave of "Arabization" and conservatism. If
we do not stop it now, this growing conservatism will result in our religion
becoming a tyranny of the majority Muslims against the minority non-Muslims or
even a tyranny against mainstream Muslims.

This is a critical moment for the future of the unique and moderate Indonesian
version of Islam. It is now time for moderate Muslims, in alliance with the
democratic and human rights movement in Indonesia, to speak out against "them".
It is time for "us" to voice our loud support for civil and moderate Islam, to
defend secularism and the multicultural society of Indonesia.

It is time to combine all of this with our work to build democracy and human
rights in Indonesia. This is not about echoing what the west says. It is not
about appeasing western pressure on the Muslim world. It is about what kind of
future society we want to have.

We cannot let the rise of conservative Islam continue unchecked; it will be too
late to deal with it later. In future, the subject could become too risky to
touch; it could become impossible to find the space to debate it.

They are not winning yet, but the space is already constrained. Anybody who
speaks out against "them" is accused of and perceived as anti-Islam. Foreigners
who say something about sharia are regarded as Islamophobes. Women who speak
out about sharia's discrimination against women are easily dismissed as
western-influenced feminists. The only possible challenge can come from male
Muslims who still face the risk of being seen as bad Muslims.

Before it's too late, we have to take that risk. Aceh's implementation of
conservative sharia law should be a lesson for everyone. We should not repeat
our failure to engage and deal with sharia and conservative groups, as we did
in Aceh. Many of us failed to realize how Islam in Aceh was being exploited by
conservative groups to promote something new, a different type of Islam that
oppressed women, restricted freedom of speech, imposed a strict code of conduct
and behavior that was against the local tradition and the nature of Islam
itself.

When sharia in Aceh was still a discourse, the Acehnese did not express their
disagreement clearly enough. Many people did not want to say anything publicly
for many reasons, including fear. Many Indonesians were ignorant about what was
proposed. Now it is being implemented as the law, it is too late and too
difficult to even challenge. The lesson here is do not play with time or it
will become too late.

We need to do something about this now. This is an elephant in the room that
cannot be ignored. The elephant will take and has taken victims in some parts
of Indonesia, especially in Aceh. It will cause more harm later to the
development of the country. It will harm the development of democracy. It will
interfere with economic recovery. It will create a very bad image for everyone.
This is the last thing anyone should want to happen to Indonesia right now.

There is no other option, but for all of us to build alliances against
conservatism. An axis of anti-extremism and conservative Islam has to be built.
We should reject any attempt to intimidate and restrict the debate. We have to
challenge the promotion of conservative Islamic values.

We should not be silent anymore. The time has come for us to speak out against
"them" loudly and clearly. We cannot wait for the future impact. All the
accusations of being anti-Islam, Islamophobia, being sympathetic to the west,
etc., should not deter us from discussing the bigger issues that will have an
impact on our society. It is still not too late to do things better. The stakes
are high: if they win, everyone here will be a mullah, but if we win, everyone
will be a democrat.

The writer is a human rights advocate. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi