http://www.j-diocese.com/DiocesanNews/view.asp?selected=238

August 25, 2006. 11:52:7

"THE JERUSALEM DECLARATION ON CHRISTIAN ZIONISM" - Statement by the
Patriarch and Local Heads of Churches In Jerusalem

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children
of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Christian Zionism is a modern theological and political movement
that embraces the most extreme ideological positions of Zionism,
thereby becoming detrimental to a just peace within Palestine and
Israel. The Christian Zionist programme provides a worldview where
the Gospel is identified with the ideology of empire, colonialism
and militarism. In its extreme form, it laces an emphasis on
apocalyptic events leading to the end of history rather than living
Christ's love and justice today.

We categorically reject Christian Zionist doctrines as false
teaching that corrupts the biblical message of love, justice and
reconciliation.

We further reject the contemporary alliance of Christian Zionist
leaders and organizations with elements in the governments of Israel
and the United States that are presently imposing their unilateral
pre-emptive borders and domination over Palestine. This inevitably
leads to unending cycles of violence that undermine the security of
all peoples of the Middle East and the rest of the world.

We reject the teachings of Christian Zionism that facilitate and
support these policies as they advance racial exclusivity and
perpetual war rather than the gospel of universal love, redemption
and reconciliation taught by Jesus Christ. Rather than condemn the
world to the doom of Armageddon we call upon everyone to liberate
themselves from the ideologies of militarism and occupation.
Instead, let them pursue the healing of the nations!

We call upon Christians in Churches on every continent to pray for
the Palestinian and Israeli people, both of whom are suffering as
victims of occupation and militarism. These discriminative actions
are turning Palestine into impoverished ghettos surrounded by
exclusive Israeli settlements. The establishment of the illegal
settlements and the construction of the Separation Wall on
confiscated Palestinian land undermines the viability of a
Palestinian state as well as peace and security in the entire
region.

We call upon all Churches that remain silent, to break their silence
and speak for reconciliation with justice in the Holy Land.

Therefore, we commit ourselves to the following principles as an
alternative way:

We affirm that all people are created in the image of God. In turn
they are called to honor the dignity of every human being and to
respect their inalienable rights.

We affirm that Israelis and Palestinians are capable of living
together within peace, justice and security.

We affirm that Palestinians are one people, both Muslim and
Christian. We reject all attempts to subvert and fragment their
unity.

We call upon all people to reject the narrow world view of Christian
Zionism and other ideologies that privilege one people at the
expense of others.

We are committed to non-violent resistance as the most effective
means to end the illegal occupation in order to attain a just and
lasting peace.

With urgency we warn that Christian Zionism and its alliances are
justifying colonization, apartheid and empire-building.

God demands that justice be done. No enduring peace, security or
reconciliation is possible without the foundation of justice. The
demands of justice will not disappear. The struggle for justice must
be pursued diligently and persistently but non-violently.

"What does the Lord require of you, to act justly, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

This is where we take our stand. We stand for justice. We can do no
other. Justice alone guarantees a peace that will lead to
reconciliation with a life of security and prosperity for all the
peoples of our Land. By standing on the side of justice, we open
ourselves to the work of peace - and working for peace makes us
children of God.

"God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting
men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of
reconciliation." (2 Cor 5:19)

His Beattitude Patriarch Michel Sabbah
Latin Patriarchate, Jerusalem

Archbishop Swerios Malki Mourad,
Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate, Jerusalem

Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal,
Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and the Middle East

Bishop Munib Younan,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land

August 22, 2006

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi