9/11 conspiracy theorists multiply
Many Americans suspect U.S. government involvement or
complicity

Please CLICK this link for 911 VOTE: http://www.msnbc.
msn.com/id/ 14727720/

By Michael Powell
The Washington Post
Updated: 10:11 a.m. ET Sept. 8, 2006
http://www.msnbc. msn.com/id/ 14723997/

David Ray Griffin, Christian theologian and author of
"The New Pearl
Harbor," talks on his cell phone before a lecture
about the destruction
of the World Trade Center at St. Marks Church in the
East Village.

NEW YORK - He felt no shiver of doubt in those first
terrible hours.

He watched the attacks on the World Trade Center and
the Pentagon and
assumed al-Qaeda had wreaked terrible vengeance. He
listened to anchors
and military experts and assumed the facts of Sept.
11, 2001, were as
stated on the screen.

It was a year before David Ray Griffin, an eminent
liberal theologian
and philosopher, began his stroll down the path of
disbelief. He
wondered why Bush listened to a child's story while
the nation was
attacked and how Osama bin Laden, America's Public
Enemy No. 1, escaped
in the mountains of Tora Bora.

He wondered why 110-story towers crashed and military
jets failed to
intercept even one airliner. He read the 9/11
Commission report with a
swell of anger. Contradictions were ignored and no
military or civilian
official was reprimanded, much less cashiered.

"To me, the report read as a cartoon." White-haired
and courtly, Griffin
sits on a couch in a hotel lobby in Manhattan,
unspooling words in that
reasonable Presbyterian minister's voice. "It's a much
greater stretch
to accept the official conspiracy story than to
consider the alternatives. "

Such as?

"There was massive complicity in this attack by U.S.
government
operatives."

If that feels like a skip off the cliff of established
reality, more
Americans are in free fall than you might guess. There
are few more
startling measures of American distrust of leaders
than the widespread
belief that the Bush administration had a hand in the
attacks of Sept.
11 in order to spark an invasion of Afghanistan and
Iraq.

A recent Scripps Howard/Ohio University poll
http://newspolls. org/story. php?story_ id=55 of 1,010
Americans found that
36 percent suspect the U.S . government promoted the
attacks or
intentionally sat on its hands. Sixteen percent
believe explosives
brought down the towers. Twelve percent believe a
cruise missile hit the
Pentagon.

Distrust near Ground Zero

Distrust percolates more strongly near Ground Zero. A
Zogby
International poll of New York City residents two
years ago found 49.3
percent believed the government "consciously failed to
act."

You could dismiss this as a louder than usual howl
from the
CIA-controls- my-thoughts- through-the- filling-in-
my-molar crowd.
Establishment assessments of the believers tend toward
the
psychotherapeutic. Many academics, politicians and
thinkers left, right
and center say the conspiracy theories are a case of
one plus one equals
five. It's a piling up of improbabilities.

Thomas Eager, a professor of materials science at MIT,
has studied the
collapse of the twin towers. "At first, I thought it
was amazing that
the buildings would come down in their own
footprints," Eager says.
"Then I realized that it wasn't that amazing -- it's
the only way a
building that weighs a million tons and is 95 percent
air can come down."

But the chatter out there is loud enough for the
National Institute of
Standards and Technology to post a Web "fact sheet"
poking holes in the
conspiracy theories and defending its report on the
towers.

Yeah, as if . . .

The loose agglomeration known as the "9/11 Truth
Movement" has stopped
looking for truth from the government. As cacophonous
and free-range a
bunch of conspiracists anywhere this side of Guy
Fawkes, they produce
hip-hop inflected documentaries and scholarly
conferences. The Web is
their mother lode. Every citizen is a researcher.
There's nothing like a
triple, Google-fed epiphany lighting up the laptop at
2:44 a.m.

Did you see that the CIA met with bin Laden in a
hospital room in Dubai?
Check out this Pakistani site, there are really weird
doings in
Baluchistan . . .

The academic wing is led by Griffin, who founded the
Center for a
Postmodern World at Claremont University; James
Fetzer, a tenured
philosopher at the University of Minnesota (Fetzer's
an old hand in JFK
assassination research); and Daniel Orr, the retired
chairman of the
economics department at the University of Illinois.
The movement's de
facto minister of engineering is Steven Jones, a
tenured physics
professor at Brigham Young University, who's studied
vectors and
velocities and tested explosives and concluded that
the collapse of the
twin towers is best explained as controlled
demolition, sped by a
thousand pounds of high-grade thermite.

'Possible war criminal'

Former Reagan aide Barbara Honegger is a senior
military affairs
journalist at the Naval Postgraduate School in
California. She's
convinced, based on her freelance research, that a
bomb went off about
six minutes before an airplane hit the Pentagon -- or
didn't hit it, as
some believe the case may be. Catherine Austin Fitts
served as assistant
secretary of housing in the first President Bush's
administration and
gained a fine reputation as a fraud buster; David
Bowman was chief of
advanced space programs under presidents Ford and
Carter. Fitts and
Bowman agree that the "most unbelievable conspiracy"
theory is the one
retailed by the government.

Then there's Morgan O. Reynolds, appointed by George
W. Bush as chief
economist at the Labor Department. He left in 2002 and
doesn't think
much of his former boss; he describes President Bush
as a "dysfunctional
creep," not to mention a "possible war criminal."

You reach Reynolds at his country home in the hills of
Arkansas. His
favored rhetorical style is long paragraphs without
obvious punctuation:
"Who did it? Elements of our government and M-16 and
the Mossad. The
government's case is a laugh-out-loud proposition.
They used patsies and
lies and subterfuge and there's no way that Bush and
Cheney could have
invaded Iraq without the help of 9/11."

They are cantankerous and sometimes distrust each
other -- who knows
where the double agents lurk? But unreasonable
questions resonate with
the reasonable. Colleen Kelly's brother, a salesman,
had breakfast at
the Windows on the World restaurant on Sept. 11. After
he died she
founded September Eleventh Families for Peaceful
Tomorrows to oppose the
Iraq war. She lives in the Bronx and gives a gingerly
embrace to the
conspiracy crowd.

"Sometimes I listen to them and I think that's sooooo
outlandish and
bizarre," she says. "But that day had such disastrous
geopolitical
consequences. If David Ray Griffin asks uncomfortable
questions and
points out painful discrepancies? Good for him."

Griffin's book, "The New Pearl Harbor: Disturbing
Questions About the
Bush Administration and 9/11," never reviewed in a
major U.S. newspaper,
sold more than 100,000 copies and became a movement
founding stone. Last
year he traveled through New England, giving speeches
in whitewashed
churches and gymnasiums. He came to West Hartford,
Conn., on a rainy
autumn evening. Four hundred mostly middle-aged and
upper-middle- class
doctors and lawyers, teachers and social workers sat
waiting.

'Domestic terrorists'

Griffin took the podium and laid down his ideas with
calm and cool. He
concluded:

"It is already possible to know beyond a reasonable
doubt one very
important thing: The destruction of the World Trade
Center was an inside
job, orchestrated by domestic terrorists," he says.
"The welfare of our
republic and perhaps even the survival of our
civilization depend on
getting the truth about 9/11 exposed."

The audience rose and applauded for more than a
minute.

"Reality is a thin line between denial and paranoia."

-- Author unknown, but often quoted by the 9/11 truth
movement

"Me?" You've asked the Rev. Frank Morales, the
bohemian Episcopalian
minister with the hipster goatee, where he stands on
the nature of the
conspiracy. We're standing in the ancient graveyard of
St. Mark's Church
in the Bowery on Second Avenue. "I lean to LIHOP."

The 9/11 truthers share a lieutenant colonel's love of
acronyms. They
divide themselves into LIHOPS and MIHOPS and
differences are not
trifling. LIHOP stands for "Let It Happen On Purpose,"
which means
someone inside the U.S. government intentionally let
the terror
conspiracy go. MIHOP means "Made It Happen On
Purpose," and its
gradations center on whether Bush was in or out of the
loop (a
surprising number believe he was clueless) and whether
the Mossad or
British intelligence was dealt into the deal.

Morales, 57, who came out of the Lower East Side
housing projects, spent
days at Ground Zero performing last rites for the
dead, many little more
than a collection of body parts.

"I didn't presume to know who did it," he says. "There
was a lot of
shucking and jiving. I wonder at what point massive
incompetence crosses
over into negligent homicide."

To make sense of the truth movement's anger, you need
to hit the rewind
button to early 2001, with the hindsight of today.
There was, as the
9/11 Commission hearings made clear, a bad moon
rising. Warnings kept
coming of a "high probability" of a "spectacular"
terrorist attack. A
national security adviser warned Condoleezza Rice
there were terrorist
cells, probably al-Qaeda guys, in the country. CIA
chief George Tenet
said the "system was blinking red."

A presidential bulletin on Aug. 6 had a catchy title:
"Bin Laden
Determined to Strike in U.S." Bush did not discuss it
again with Tenet
before Sept. 11.

So give the truth movement, many of whom are based in
New York City,
their props. They may be paranoid, but something nasty
came our way.
They pore over the paper trail with a Sherlock
Holmesian intensity,
alert to intriguing discrepancy.

Such as:

Former transporation secretary Norman Mineta told the
commission he
arrived in the presidential operations center -- under
the White House
-- at 9:20 a.m. on Sept. 11 and found Vice President
Cheney. When an
aide asked Cheney about the hijacked plane fast
approaching the
Pentagon, Mineta says the vice president snapped that
the "orders still
stand." Mineta assumed the orders were to shoot the
plane down.
Conspiracy theorists interpret this to mean: Don't
shoot it down.

Cheney later said he was not in the operations center
until after the
plane hit. The commission never mentioned Mineta's
contradictory version.

In September 2001, NORAD generals said they learned of
the hijackings in
time to scramble fighter jets. But the government
recently released
tapes claiming to show the FAA did not tell the
military about the
hijackings until three of the four planes had crashed.

That would mean the FAA repeatedly lied. It would also
mean, as Griffin
points out, that the entire military chain of command
stayed quiet about
huge inaccuracies for four years "even though . . .
the true story would
put the military in a better light."

More mysteries pile up. The 9/11 Commission says
Flight 77 hit the
Pentagon at 9:37. But Honegger says clocks stopped at
the Pentagon at
9:32. Then there's the collapse of the twin towers,
which Jones, the
physics professor, timed at just short of free fall.
Griffin cites
firefighters, including a captain, who said in
hearings and on tapes
from that day that they saw flashes and heard the
sound of explosions
before the collapse.

"It's like the Nazi-facilitated Reichstag fire,"
Honegger says from her
home in California. "They guided and secretly
protected it to justify
their global agenda."

Let's put aside the
could-anyone- do-something- that-spectacular
ly-twisted? question and touch
on practicalities. Isn't the problem with big ugly
conspiracies -- from
the Gulf of Tonkin to My Lai to the 1961 Pentagon plan
to provoke a war
by attacking Americans and blaming it on Castro --
that they are too big
and ugly to keep secret?

Griffin shrugs. History is littered with government
black-bag jobs. "How
do you know they can't keep big secrets? Can you be
sure you know what
you don't know?"

There is a "morning after" quality to the
conspiratorial romance. One
moment you groove on the epiphanies and the next
moment you're lost in a
dull haze of "this cannot be a coincidence, " "perhaps
significantly" and
"if so . . ."

What of incompetence? Or the raw absurdity of life?
The truth movement
makes much of a 2001 BBC report that a half-dozen of
the hijackers were
still alive. They mention Waleed al Shehri, a pilot
who still flies
commercial runs in Morocco. But the BBC retracted
that.

It turns out the live guy and the dead hijacker
spelled their names
differently.

Then there's the theory that Flight 77 did not hit the
Pentagon and
United 93 did not crash in Shanksville, Pa. But, like,
what happened to
the passengers? (Among the passengers on Flight 77 was
Barbara Olson,
wife of former U.S. solicitor general Ted Olson).

'They don't do their homework'

"Why should any of us know where it went?" Griffin
says. "It could have
been it crashed in Kentucky. We don't need a theory
where it went."

Chip Berlet, senior analyst at Political Research
Associates, a
Boston-based left-leaning think tank, is no fan of the
9/11 Commission.
He believes a serious investigation should have led to
indictments and
the firing of incompetent generals and civilian
officials.

But he has no patience with the conspiracy theorists.

"They don't do their homework; it's a kind of
charlatanism, " Berlet says
over the phone. "They say there's no debris on the
lawn in front of the
Pentagon, but they base their analysis on a photo on
the Internet .
That's like analyzing an impressionist painting by
looking at a postcard."

Now comes a loud sigh.

"I love 'The X-Files' but I don't base my research on
it," he says. "My
vision of hell is having to review these [conspiracy]
books over and
over again."

Let's move on to Eager of MIT. "Demolition experts
say, 'Ohhh, it's all
science and timing.' Bull!" Eager says. "What's the
technique? If
200,000 tons gives way, where do you think it's going?
Straight down."

In the days after Sept. 11, experts claimed
temperatures reached 2,000
degrees on the upper floors. Others claimed steel
melted. Nope. What
happened, Eager says, is that jet fuel sloshed around
and beams got
rubbery.

"It's not too much to think that you could have some
regions at 900
degrees and others at 1,200 degrees, and that will
distort the beams."

The truth movement doesn't really care for Eager. A
Web site casts a
fisheye of suspicion at the professor and his
colleagues. "Did the MIT
have prior knowledge?" notes one chat room. "This is
for sure another
speculative topic . . . "

"It is no measure of health to be sane in an insane
society."
-- Krishnamurti

Nico Haupt, a gaunt fellow in black sneakers, black
socks, black jeans
and black T-shirt, stands up in St. Mark's Church in
the Bowery. He
holds aloft two blue Oreos boxes taped to resemble the
twin towers. A
pen juts out, kind of like a Boeing airplane.

For an hour he's shown videos of planes hitting the
towers. If you note
the glinting sunlight and angle of wings and you're
honest about vectors
and maybe the hashish is kicking in, you'll realize
there were no planes .

Truth movement veterans distance themselves from
Haupt, who has a bit of
a temper. But Reynolds, the former Labor Department
economist, also is a
"no-planer."

"There were no planes, there were no hijackers,"
Reynolds insists. "I
know, I know, I'm out of the mainstream, but that's
the way it is."

But what about all those New Yorkers who saw airplanes
hitting the twin
towers? A chuckle rumbles down the phone line. "I
don't believe anyone
in Lower Manhattan," he says. "You hire three dozen
Actors' Equity dudes
and they'll say anything."

Some days the 9/11 truth movement resembles an Italian
coalition
government -- dissolution is a certainty. Honegger and
Griffin believe
bombs brought down the twin towers but have little
truck with
make-believe planes. There's a faction that says the
Mossad did it and
another that says that's insane, and maybe
anti-Semitic.

Where are we going here? There's a Journal of 9/11
Studies,
documentaries, CDs and DVDs. Is conspiracy thought
getting codified?

"That's our worry, of course," Griffin says. "I want
my life back. But
how can I ignore that we have become entranced by
demonic power, so
focused on lust for wealth and control that almost
anything becomes
possible?"

You reach Honegger a few nights later. She'd like to
give it up, too. "I
am sitting here in my little office trying to figure
out what happened
to my country on this day. I wouldn't be a patriot if
I didn't try to
prove the government's story is preposterous. "

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

http://mail.yahoo.com

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi

<*> Your email settings: