--- In ppiindia@yahoogroups.com, Satrio Arismunandar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> *Islam: The Next American Religion?*
> *By Michael Wolfe*
> http://www.islamfor today.com/ wolfe3.htm
>
> *The U.S. began as a haven for Christian outcasts. But
> what religion fits our current zeitgeist? The answer
> may be Islam.*

---------------------

Here you are:

The Islamic States of America?
by Daniel Pipes
FrontPageMagazine.com
September 23, 2004

The hardest thing for Westerners to understand is not that a war
with militant Islam is underway but that the nature of the enemy's
ultimate goal. That goal is to apply the Islamic law (the Shari`a)
globally. In U.S. terms, it intends to replace the Constitution with
the Qur'an.

This aspiration is so remote and far-fetched to many non-Muslims, it
elicits more guffaws than apprehension. Of course, that used to be
the same reaction in Europe, and now it's become widely accepted
that, in Bernard Lewis' words, "Europe will be Islamic by the end of
the century."

Because of the American skepticism about Islamist goals, I postponed
publishing an article on this subject until immediately after 9/11,
when I expected receptivity to the subject would be greater (it was
published in November 2001 as "The Danger Within: Militant Islam in
America"). I argued there that

The Muslim population in this country is not like any other group,
for it includes within it a substantial body of people—many times
more numerous than the agents of Osama bin Ladin—who share with the
suicide hijackers a hatred of the United States and the desire,
ultimately, to transform it into a nation living under the
strictures of militant Islam.

The receptivity indeed was greater, but still the idea of an
Islamist takeover remains unrecognized in establishment circles –
the U.S. government, the old media, the universities, the mainline
churches.

Therefore, reading "A rare look at secretive Brotherhood in
America," in the Chicago Tribune on Sept. 19 caused me to startle.
It's a long analysis that draws on an exclusive interview with Ahmed
Elkadi, the Muslim Brotherhood leader in the United States during
1984-94, plus other interviews and documentation. In it, the authors
(Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah, Sam Roe, and Laurie Cohen) warily but
emphatically acknowledge the Islamists' goal of turning the United
States into an Islamic state.

Over the last 40 years, small groups of devout Muslim men have
gathered in homes in U.S. cities to pray, memorize the Koran and
discuss events of the day. But they also addressed their ultimate
goal, one so controversial that it is a key reason they have
operated in secrecy: to create Muslim states overseas and, they
hope, someday in America as well. …

Brotherhood members emphasize that they follow the laws of the
nations in which they operate. They stress that they do not believe
in overthrowing the U.S. government, but rather that they want as
many people as possible to convert to Islam so that one day—perhaps
generations from now—a majority of Americans will support a society
governed by Islamic law.

This Brotherhood approach is in keeping with my observation that the
greater Islamist threat to the West is not violence – flattening
buildings, bombing railroad stations and nightclubs, seizing
theaters and schools – but the peaceful, legal growth of power
through education, the law, the media, and the political system.

The Tribune article explains how, when recruiting new members, the
organization does not reveal its identity but invites candidates to
small prayer meetings where the prayer leaders focus on the primary
goal of the Brotherhood, namely "setting up the rule of God upon the
Earth" (i.e., achieving Islamic hegemony). Elkadi describes the
organization's strategic, long-term approach: "First you change the
person, then the family, then the community, then the nation."

His wife Iman is no less explicit; all who are associated with the
Brotherhood, she says, have the same goal, which is "to educate
everyone about Islam and to follow the teachings of Islam with the
hope of establishing an Islamic state."

In addition to Elkadi, the article features information from Mustafa
Saied (about whose Muslim Brotherhood experiences the Wall Street
Journal devoted a feature story in December 2003, without mentioning
the organization's Islamist goals). Saied, the Tribune informs us,
says

he found out that the U.S. Brotherhood had a plan for achieving
Islamic rule in America: It would convert Americans to Islam and
elect like-minded Muslims to political office. "They're very smart.
Everyone else is gullible," Saied says. "If the Brotherhood puts up
somebody for an election, Muslims would vote for him not knowing he
was with the Brotherhood."

Citing documents and interviews, the Tribune team notes that the
secretive Brotherhood, in an effort to acquire more influence, went
above ground in Illinois in 1993, incorporating itself as the Muslim
American Society. The MAS, headquartered in Alexandria, Va. and
claiming 53 chapters across the United States engages in a number of
activities. These include summer camps, a large annual conference,
websites, and the Islamic American University, a mainly
correspondence school in suburban Detroit that trains teachers and
imams.

Of course, the MAS denies any intent to take over the country. One
of its top officials, Shaker Elsayed, insists that

MAS does not believe in creating an Islamic state in America but
supports the establishment of Islamic governments in Muslim lands.
The group's goal in the United States, he says, "is to serve and
develop the Muslim community and help Muslims to be the best
citizens they can be of this country." That includes preserving the
Muslim identity, particularly among youths.

Notwithstanding this denial, the Tribune finds MAS goals to be clear
enough:

Part of the Chicago chapter's Web site is devoted to teens. It
includes reading materials that say Muslims have a duty to help form
Islamic governments worldwide and should be prepared to take up arms
to do so. One passage states that "until the nations of the world
have functionally Islamic governments, every individual who is
careless or lazy in working for Islam is sinful." Another one says
that Western secularism and materialism are evil and that Muslims
should "pursue this evil force to its own lands" and "invade its
Western heartland." [links added by me, DP]

In suburban Rosemont, Ill., several thousand people attended MAS'
annual conference in 2002 at the village's convention center. One
speaker said, "We may all feel emotionally attached to the goal of
an Islamic state" in America, but it would have to wait because of
the modest Muslim population. "We mustn't cross hurdles we can't
jump yet."

These revelations are particularly striking, coming as they do just
days after a Washington Post article titled "In Search Of Friends
Among The Foes," which reports how some U.S. diplomats and
intelligence officials believe the Muslim Brotherhood's
influence "offers an opportunity for political engagement that could
help isolate violent jihadists." Graham Fuller is quoted saying
that "It is the preeminent movement in the Muslim world. It's
something we can work with." Demonizing the Brotherhood, he
warns, "would be foolhardy in the extreme." Other analysts, such as
Reuel Gerecht, Edward Djerejian, and Leslie Campbell, are quoted as
being in agreement with this outlook.

But it is a deeply wrong and dangerous approach. Even if the Muslim
Brotherhood is not specifically associated with violence in the
United States (as it has been in other countries, including Egypt
and Syria), it is deeply hostile to the United States and must be
treated as one vital component of the enemy's assault force.

Sept. 26, 2004 update: In a verbose and technical response to the
Chicago Tribune article cited above, Esam Omeish, the president of
the Muslim American Society, acknowledges that MAS has been
influenced by the "moderate school of thought prevalent in the
Muslim Brotherhood" and makes no effort to refute the article's
premise that MAS has in mind "the goal of an Islamic state." How odd.

_________

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

> can change that. As The New York Times recently
> reported, while Muslim/Jewish tensions sometimes flare
> on university campuses, lately these
> same students have found ways to forge common links.
> For one thing, the two
> religions share similar dietary laws, including ritual
> slaughter and a
> prohibition on pork. Joining forces at Dartmouth this
> fall, the first
> kosher/halal dining hall is scheduled to open its
> doors this autumn. That
> isn't all: They're already planning a joint
> Thanksgiving dinner, with birds
> dressed at a nearby farm by a rabbi and an imam. If
> the American Pilgrims
> were watching now, they'd be rubbing their eyes with
> amazement. And, because
> they came here fleeing religious persecution, they
> might also understand.
>
> Islam encourages the pursuit of religious freedom. The
> Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock is not the world's
> first story of religious emigration.
> Muhammad and his little band of 100 followers fled
> religious persecution, too, from Mecca in the year
> 622. They only survived by going to Madinah, an
> oasis a few hundred miles north, where they
> established a new community based on a religion they
> could only practice secretly back home. No wonder
> then that, in our own day, many Muslims have come here
> as pilgrims from oppression, leaving places like
> Kashmir, Bosnia, and Kosovo, where being a
> Muslim may radically shorten your life span. When the
> 20th century's list of emigrant exiles is added up, it
> will prove to be heavy with Muslims, that's
> for sure.
>
> All in all, there seems to be a deep resonance between
> Islam and the United States. Although one is a world
> religion and the other is a sovereign
> nation, both are traditionally very strong on
> individual responsibility.
> Like New Hampshire's motto, "Live Free or Die,"
> America is wedded to individual liberty and an ethic
> based on right action. For a Muslim, spiritual
> salvation depends on these. This is best expressed in
> a popular saying: Even when you think God isn't
> watching you, act as if he is.
>
> Who knows? Perhaps it won't be long now before words
> like salat (Muslim prayer) and Ramadan join karma and
> Nirvana in Webster's Dictionary, and
> Muslims take their place in America's mainstream.
>
> *Michael Wolfe is the author of books of poetry,
> fiction, travel, and history. His most recent works
> are a pair of books from Grove Press on the
> pilgrimage to Mecca: "The Hajj" (1993), a first-person
> travel account, and "One Thousand Roads to Mecca"
> (1997), an anthology of 10 centuries of
> travelers writing about the Muslim pilgrimage. In
> April 1997, he hosted a televised account of the Hajj
> from Mecca for Ted Koppel's "Nightline" on
> ABC. He is currently at work on a four-hour television
> documentary on the
> life and times of the Prophet Muhammad.*

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: