--- In ITB_

2006

kesehatan tiang keadaban
salam

2 Americans win Nobel Prize in medicine
By MATT MOORE and KARL RITTER, Associated Press Writers 19 minutes
ago
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Americans Andrew Z. Fire and Craig C. Mello won
the Nobel Prize in medicine Monday for discovering a powerful way to
turn off the effect of specific genes, opening a potential new
avenue for fighting diseases as diverse as cancer and AIDS.
The process, called RNA interference, also is being studied for
treating such conditions as hepatitis virus infection and heart
disease. It already widely used in basic science as a method to
study the function of genes.
Fire, 47, of Stanford University, and Mello, 45, of the University
of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, published their
seminal work in 1998.
RNA interference occurs naturally in plants, animals and humans. The
Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, which awarded the $1.4 million
prize, said it is important for regulating the activity of genes and
helps defend against viral infection.
"This year's Nobel laureates have discovered a fundamental mechanism
for controlling the flow of genetic information," the institute said.
Erna Moller, a member of the Nobel committee, said their research
helped shed new light on a complicated process that had confused
researchers for years.
"It was like opening the blinds in the morning," she said. "Suddenly
you can see everything clearly."
Genes produce their effect by sending molecules called messenger RNA
to the protein-making machinery of a cell. In RNA interference,
certain molecules trigger the destruction of RNA from a particular
gene, so that no protein is produced. Thus the gene is effectively
silenced.
For instance, a gene causing high blood cholesterol levels was
recently shown to be silenced in animals through RNA interference.
The prize for Mello and Fire came remarkably quickly after they did
the work. Nobels are generally given decades after the research they
honor.
Mello, reached at his home in Shrewsbury, Mass., said the award came
as a "big surprise."
"I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't really expect it for
perhaps a few more years. Both Andrew and I are fairly young, 40 or
so, and it's only been about eight years since the discovery."
He said he would try to get to work Monday but expected to
accomplish "not a lot."
Fire, reached in California, said he was awakened by a call from the
Nobel committee.
`At first I was very excited.... Then I thought I must be dreaming
or maybe it was the wrong number," he said. But then he confirmed
the good news by checking the Nobel Web site.
"It makes me feel great. It makes me feel incredibly indebted at the
same time," he said. "You realize how many other people have been
major parts of our efforts."
Fire conducted his research while at the Washington-based Carnegie
Institution.
The announcement opened this year's series of prize announcements.
It will be followed by Nobel prizes for physics, chemistry,
literature, peace and economics.
Last year's medicine prize went to Australians Barry J. Marshall and
Robin Warren for discovering that bacteria, not stress, causes
ulcers.
Alfred Nobel, the Swedish inventor of dynamite, established the
prizes in his will in the categories of literature, peace, medicine,
physics and chemistry. The economics prize is technically not a
Nobel but a 1968 creation of Sweden's central bank.
Winners receive a check, handshakes with Scandinavian royalty, and a
banquet on Dec. 10 — the anniversary of Nobel's death in 1896. All
prizes are handed out in Stockholm except for the peace prize, which
is presented in Oslo.
___
On the Net:
Nobel Foundation: http://nobelprize.org/