Mistakes to Avoid during Ramadhaan

By Shaykh Salman Al-Oadah

Muslims make a number of mistakes during this auspicious month. These
mistakes vary from country to country and from culture to culture, and
there are many reasons why they happen. Sometimes they can be
attributed to local customs and traditions. Sometimes they occur
because of a misapplication of Islamic Law. At other times, the reason
for the mistake is the desire to express happiness and joy during this
blessed month. At other times, simple ignorance is to blame. Whatever
the reason, the outcome is the same: a violation of Islamic teachings
in a matter of worship. This is serious, since matters of worship in
Islam are established and defined by the sacred texts.

The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:  “Whoever
introduces something new into this matter of ours will have it
rejected.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (2550) and Saheeh Muslim (1718)]

Some of the mistakes people make in Ramadhaan are serious enough to be
violations of Islamic Law. Some mistakes are innovations. Other
mistakes are less serious, causing the person who errs to act in a way
that is undesirable. These mistakes can relate to the fast itself or to
other customs and practices associated with it.

We will now turn our attention to some of these mistakes:

Neglecting Congregational Prayer

Many people increase their worship in Ramadhaan and frequent the
mosques more that usual. However, some people fall short during this
month of their observance of congregational prayer and neglect the
mosque. This is a mistake, for there is a hadeeth that reads:
“Whoever hears the call to prayer but does not hearken to it,
then he has no prayer.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhi (217)]

‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib said:  “There is no prayer for the
neighbour of the masjid except in the mosque.” [Musannaf
‘Abd al-Razzaaq (1915) and Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah (3469)]

No doubt, neglect congregational prayer is something serious. It is
even more serious to neglect prayer altogether. A hadeeth reads:
“The covenant between us and them is prayer. Whoever abandons it
has disbelieved.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (2621)]

The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Whoever
abandons the ‘Asr prayer, his deeds are lost.” [Saheeh
al-Bukhaari (528)]

There are numerous other hadeeth that stress the importance of prayer.
May Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala protect us from neglecting our
prayers.

A Muslim should safeguard his worship and be steadfast in prayer.
Ramadhaan should be an opportunity for us to change for the better and
habituate ourselves to doing good deeds.

Backbiting & Rumour-Mongering

Speaking badly about other people is a way to seriously compromise
one’s fasting. The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam
defined backbiting in the following way:

He said: “Do you know what backbiting is?”

They said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.”

He said: “It is to mention about your brother something that he
would dislike having mentioned about him.” [Saheeh Muslim (2589)]

Someone enquired: “O Messenger of Allaah! How do you see it if
what I said about him is true?”

He replied: “If what you said about him is true, then you have
backbitten him. If what you said about him is false, then you have
slandered him.” [Saheeh Muslim (2589)]

Another evil is to spread what people say about each other in order to
bring about problems. This rumour-mongering also includes divulging
secrets and exposing people’s faults.

Hudhayfah heard about a man who was spreading rumours and he said:
“I heard Allaah’s Messenger say: ‘A rumour-monger
will not enter Paradise .” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (6056) and Saheeh
Muslim (105)]

Vulgar Speech and Bad Manners

Aboo Hurayrah relates that the Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa
sallam said:  “Whoever does not abandon false speech and acting
falsely, then Allaah has no need of his abandoning food and
drink.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1903)]

The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:  “Fasting
is a shield, so the one who fasts should avoid obscene speech and
ignorant behavior. If someone abuses him or starts to fight with him,
he should reply by saying: ‘I am fasting. I am
fasting’.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (1795)]

Ibn Hajar writes in Fath al-Baari (4/105)]:

The hadeeth means that the fasting person should not respond to the one
who abuses him with the same kind of behavior. He should restrain
himself by saying: “I am fasting.”

Laziness and Listlessness

Some people take the Ramadhaan fast as an excuse for laziness. In this,
they behave in stark contrast to the ways of our Pious Predecessors,
who had no qualms with working hard in Ramadhaan and even rallying to
the defense of the faith. They definitely did not become lax in their
regular, daily worship. Indeed, they would increase their religious
observances in this month.

Some people justify their laziness with the weak hadeeth that reads:
“The sleep of the fasting person is worship.” If, for the
sake of argument, we assume that the hadeeth is authentic, it does not
justify laziness. It certainly does not pardon the practice of those
who sleep all day in Ramadhaan and then spend the nights in feasting
and merriment. The hadeeth refers to the normal sleeping habits of the
person, like the person’s usual daily nap. This normal sleep
helps invigorate the person for further acts of worship.

It is necessary for a person to capitalize on the opportunity for
blessings that the month of Ramadhaan has to offer. A Muslim should
strive to the utmost to earn Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala’s
reward during this month, keeping in mind that there is no guarantee of
his living to see another Ramadhaan.

Excessive Eating and Drinking

Some people spend their nights in Ramadhaan filling their stomachs with
all types of food and drink, sometimes indulging in delicacies that
they do not ever eat outside of Ramadhaan. This practice, without
doubt, contradicts the very essence of Ramadhaan and the wisdom behind
our fasting.

It is related from al-Miqdâm b. Ma‘di Yakrib that the Prophet
sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:  “The human being does
not fill up any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for a
person to eat just enough to keep his back straight. If he must eat
more, then he can fill a third with food, a third with drink, and leave
a third for air.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (2380)]

How can a person learn to subdue his base impulses and desires through
fasting, when he makes up for it all by indulging his every whim at
night, eating even more during Ramadhaan than he does during the rest
of the year? In some places, people have a custom of storing food and
reserving it for Ramadhaan, so that they consume in Ramadhaan the
quantity of food that would usually take them months to eat.

We all know that the purpose of fasting is to rein in our passions and
break our desires in order to grow in piety. If we allow our hunger to
build in strength from dawn to dinner time only to then indulge our
hunger with greater gusto, this merely magnifies the pleasure of
eating. It strengthens our passions more than if we had been left to
our normal eating patterns.

Getting Angry

Some people seem to think that their bad tempers are excused because
they are fasting. They allow their anger its full spectrum of
expression, saying the most horrible things and doing the most
preposterous deeds.

A fasting person needs to adorn his fast with magnanimity and good
manners. He should remind himself that the Prophet sall Allaahu
‘alayhi wa sallam said: “The strong person is not the one
who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can
control himself when he is angry.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5763) and
Saheeh Muslim (2609)]

Abandoning Fasting Without an Excuse

Abandoning a Ramadhaan fast without a valid excuse is a major sin. A
person who falls into this sin must repent sincerely and earnestly to
his Lord. He must also make up the days that he missed later. He must
also provide a meal for a poor person for each day that he missed if he
is financially able to do so.

Fasting is one of the five pillars of the religion of Islam. A person
who openly abandons the Ramadhaan fast should be rebuked for doing so
and not left to be a bad example for others.

Women Putting on Perfume to Go to the Masjid

Some women put on attractive perfumes to when they go to the mosque at
night in Ramadhaan. This is a mistake.

The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: “Any woman
who dons perfume should refrain from attending the ‘Ishaa’
congregation with us.” [Saheeh Muslim (444)]

The Prophet sall Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam also said: “Any
woman who puts on perfume and then walks by people so they can get a
whiff of her perfume is a wanton woman.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhi
(2786) and Sunan al-Nasaa’i (5126)]

Staying Up Late

This is a mistake if it leads to bed consequences. Some people stay up
late at night and then sleep through the Fajr prayer. Some even sleep
through the Zuhr and ‘Asr prayers. If they force themselves to
get up during the day, they can suffer extreme fatigue on account of
it. If they are employees, their performance at work suffers.

Such people need to keep cognizant of the blessings of this month that
they lose out on because of these consequences.

"Fa maadza ba'da-lhaqq, illa-dl_dlalaal"

Leo Imanov
Abdu-lLah
AllahsSlave
http://sudjanamihardja.multiply.com