Dalam sebuah acara kampanye di Detroit Kamis
kemarin (18 Juni 2008), 2 orang wanits Muslim
Amerika yang ikut menghadiri kampanye tersebut
telah di cegah untuk duduk di belakang podium
Obama oleh "Satgas" nya Obama, karena mereka
mengenakan jilbab.

Obama kemudian meminta maaf kepada mereka
atas kejadian tersebut dan menyatakan bahwa
setiap sikap yang deskriminatif, termasuk
yang berlatarbelakang agama itu bertentangan
dengan kebijakannya.

---( ihsan hm )-----------------------------------

Obama apologizes to Muslim women barred from seats

Thu Jun 19, 9:36 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential
candidate Barack Obama apologized on Thursday to
two Muslim women who were barred from sitting behind
the podium where Obama was speaking because they
were wearing Islamic headscarves.

At a campaign rally in Detroit on Monday, Shimaa
Abdelfadeel and Hebba Aref were prevented by volunteers
from taking seats behind Obama that would have been
in view of television cameras, apparently because of
their headscarves.

"I reached out to Ms. Aref and Ms. Abdelfadeel this
afternoon," Obama said in a statement. "I spoke with
Ms. Abdelfadeel, and expressed my deepest apologies
for the incident that occurred with volunteers at
the event in Detroit."

Obama said the volunteers' actions were "unacceptable
and in no way reflect any policy of my campaign."

"I take deepest offense to and will continue to fight
against discrimination against people of any religious
group or background," he said.

Obama Abdelfadeel had accepted his apology and he
hoped that Aref would as well.

The Detroit Free Press reported that Obama had left
a phone message for Aref.

Obama, who is a Christian, has faced false rumors
that he is a Muslim.

His personal apology followed an earlier apology made
to the women by his campaign staff.

(Reporting by Caren Bohan; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

Kirim email ke