dear comrades,

It is true, favouring the Turkish
national team against Germany for the
half-final match this evening seems to
be wishful thinking. Therefore, although
a supporter of the team, I am prepared
to accept the possibility that my favourite
team will be defeated today.

I actually consider myself as neither a
soccer nor any other sport enthusiast.
My interest runs much deeper, namely
in the 'psycho-socio-anthropological
aspects' of this game :-).

I think many Indonesians should find no
difficulties in placing themselves in the
"shoes" of Turkey today. As the team of
an 'underdog' nation in Europe region, they
have to face a much more favorite team of
a much more sophisticated nation.

In this situation, one might think what kind
of qualities, if any, that we could find in
ourselves which 'count' in the eyes of the
'enemy'?. Or, putting it in other words, what
actually things that we, as Indonesians could
learn from this particular game situation?

You might find the answers by reading the
passages that I quote from the CNN news
article below.

---( ihsan hm )--------------------------------

The 'header' of this CNN news article:

(*) Turkey's never-say-die mentality is
    Germany's Euro Championship concern

What Michael Ballack said about Turkey's team:

(*) "But they are unpredictable and they
     won't underestimate any of us."

(*) "Turkey have up until now always been
     brilliantly set up against their opponents
     and they almost have a bit of the German
     mentality about them.

What one of the Turkey team member said about
Fatih Terim, the coach of the team,
-----------------------------------

(*) "He is always instilling belief,"

(*) "And believe me, when that man shouts you
     look. It's like nothing I've seen before.
     The coach gives us belief."

                    --- oOo ---

CNN news article:

<http://tinyurl.com/4n9y6h>

Turkey mentality worries favorites Germany

(*) Turkey's never-say-die mentality is
    Germany's Euro Championship concern

(*) Nations clash in Basle with place in
    Euro final against Spain/Russia at
    stake

(*) Germany at full strength but Turkey
    have four men suspended and five
    injured

              --- oOo ---

TENERO, Switzerland (CNN) -- Skipper Michael
Ballack believes Turkey's mentality is the
greatest threat to Germany's European Championship
title ambitions going into tonight's semifinal
in Basle.

The Turks have massive injury and suspension
problems, but their never-say-die attitude under
coach Fatih Terim still makes them dangerous
opponents.

Chelsea midfielder Ballack is still chasing his
first major title and the 31-year-old said: "I
am very calm. All us see a great chance to be
in the final and win the title. It's up to us."

Turkey have scored last-minute winners in their
last three games to progress to their first Euro
semifinal against all the odds.

"Turkey are certainly not better than us
tactically, technically and in terms of individual
players," said Ballack who excelled in Germany's
3-2 win over Portugal in the last eight.

"But they are unpredictable and they won't
underestimate any of us.

"Turkey have up until now always been brilliantly
set up against their opponents and they almost
have a bit of the German mentality about them.

"It will be a tough task, but we have a big
chance of making the final."

Ballack is set to have Torsten Frings back
alongside him in centre midfield at St Jakob
Park, the Werder Bremen anchorman having
returned to training after breaking ribs.

Germany coach Joachim Loew confirmed all 23
players in his squad were available for the
match.

The situation is the exact opposite for Terim
who has four players suspended and five on
the injured list.

He could be faced with the prospect of playing
third-choice goalkeeper Tolga Zengin in an
outfield position if he is needed off the
bench.

"The memory of Dortmund shows us that we have
to give our best until the end, and especially
against the Turks we have to be committed until
the final whistle," Ballack said.

"London-born Colin Kazim-Richards is available
to Terim and he is backing his coach, who is
nicknamed 'The Emperor' in his homeland, to do
the impossible again. "He is always instilling
belief," the 21-year-old forward said of the
former AC Milan and Galatasaray boss.

"He is incredible. He doesn't let your head go
down - if it does, he shouts at you straight
away.

"And believe me, when that man shouts you look.
It's like nothing I've seen before. The coach
gives us belief."

Kirim email ke