notabene:
ini Ulil-nya Amerika!!!
==========

Reza Aslan

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality
standards.
Please improve this article if you can. (March 2007)
Reza Aslan

Reza Aslan
Born    1972
Tehran, Iran
Occupation      Writer

Dr. Reza Aslan (Persian: رضا
اصلان , born 1972 [1] in Tehran, Iran)
[2], is an Iranian-American Muslim writer [3] and scholar [4] of
religions.

Aslan is also a regular commentator for American Public Media's
Marketplace, and the Middle East Analyst for CBS News.

His most recent book is No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and
Future of Islam (published 2005), and is currently Assistant
Professor at the University of California, Riverside.

The Guardian newspaper in Britain reports that Aslan is a Shi'a
Muslim.

Background

He has been both Visiting Assistant Professor of Islamic and Middle
East Studies at the University of Iowa and the Truman Capote Fellow
in Fiction at the Iowa Writers' Workshop.

Aslan has written for numerous newspapers and periodicals including
Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, Slate, Boston Globe, the
Washington Post, the Guardian, Chicago Tribune, the Nation, and
others.

He has also appeared on several TV programs, including Meet the
Press, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Anderson
Cooper 360°, Hardball, Nightline and Real Time with Bill Maher.

He has served as a legislative assistant for the Friends' Committee
on National Legislation in Washington D.C., and was elected president
of Harvard's Chapter of the World Conference on Religion and Peace, a
United Nations Organization committed to solving religious conflicts
throughout the world. He is a member of the Los Angeles Institute for
the Humanities and serves on advisory boards of both the Council of
Foreign Relations and the Ploughshares Fund, which distributes grants
to further peace and diplomacy throughout the world.

He moved to the United States in 1979, during the Iranian Revolution
[6] and currently lives in Santa Monica, California.

His aunt is Iranian singer Leila Forouhar.[7]

He is an assistant professor of creative writing at the University of
California, Riverside.

In Santa Monica he is currently a Research Associate at the
University of Southern California's Center on Public Diplomacy.

He has, with Amanda Fortini, founded Detox Films, a production
company founded with a number of television and film projects in pre-
production.

He is writing a historical novel set a thousand years ago, about a
caravan traveling from the Arabian peninsula to India. [8]

Written and Spoken works

His first book, No god but God, (Random House, 2005), has been
translated into half a dozen languages, was short-listed for the
Guardian (UK) First Book Award, and nominated for a PEN USA award for
research Non-Fiction. [9]

His next book, How to Win a Cosmic War: Why We're Losing the War on
Terror, will be published by Random House in the Fall of 2008.

As well as writing books, Aslan has written numerous articles [10],
commentaries (for radio and newspapers) [11], book reviews [12]
internationally.

He has also appeared on the radio [13] and television [14] and has
appeared numerous times in documentaries on Islam and the Prophet
Muhammad. [15]

He tours the world giving talks [16], and has written many press
articles. [17]

Other publications
'The Struggle for Islam's Soul', essay in With All Our Might: A
Progressive Strategy for Defeating Jihadism and Defending Liberty,
Will Marshall, ed. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2006
'From Here to Mullahcracy', essay in My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My
Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices, Lila Azam
Zanganeh, ed. Beacon Press, 2006

Qualifications

Reza Aslan has a BA in Religion from Santa Clara University, a Master
of Theological Studies from Harvard Divinity School, and a Master of
Fine Arts in Fiction from the University of Iowa. He holds a Ph.D. in
History of Religions at the University of California, Santa Barbara
and is currently a Doctoral Candidate in Sociology of Religions at
the University of California, Santa Barbara

Quotes
"I believe we are living in the time of the Islamic reformation. In
fact, I think we are living in the twilight of that reformation. For
me, the word reform is defined by its inevitability. This process
cannot be stopped; it can be slowed down for a time but reform is
inevitable. It's an historic reformation taking place within Islam —
it's adapting itself to the realities of the world around it. I think
we'll see the same process we saw in the Christian reformation from
doctrinal absolutism to doctrinal relativism; toward a truly
indigenous Islamic enlightenment. And it's up to us as Muslims in the
US to give voice to that for our brothers and sisters who don't have
the voice or the same ability to speak out as we do." [18]
"It is pluralism—the peaceful coexistence and legal equality between
different ethnic, religious or political ideologies—that defines
democracy, not secularism." [19]
"The veil is seen as a symbol of Islam but like all symbols, it's
meaningless unless interpreted. The veil is as much a symbol of
oppression of women as it is an expression of Muslim femininity. The
strangeness of this is that if you go to a country where the veil is
either mandatory or there is a lot of pressure to wear it, you'll
find the vast majority of women are against it. But, if you go to a
country like Turkey where the veil is outlawed in much of the public
realm — in the latest polls, 70 percent of the Muslim women want to
remove that law." [20]
"Iraq should look to Israel for a model that combines democracy and
religious belief." [21]
"Despite the apartheid state that has resulted from over half a
century of bloody territorial conflicts with its neighboring
Palestinian territories, few would deny that the state of Israel is a
democracy. At the same time, Israel is a country founded upon an
exclusivist Jewish moral framework, which offers all the world's Jews
- regardless of their nationality - immediate citizenship, providing
them with a host of benefits and privileges over its non-Jewish
citizens. It is a country in which the Orthodox rabbinical courts
have jurisdiction over all matters relating to Judaism (including who
is a Jew); where religious schools (yeshivas) are subsidized by the
state, and marriages are religious, rather than civil affairs
(meaning no official will marry a Jew to a non-Jew); and the
government is dominated by religious parties such as the ultra-
Orthodox Shas, the Yahadut Hatorah, and of course the ruling Likud.
In short, Israel is, in every sense of the term, a Jewish
democracy." [22]
"If we don't figure out a way to strip these conflicts of their
religious connotations, then we will never figure out a way to put an
end to them. Because as long as these remain cosmic conflicts, they
will go on for eternity." [23]
"A lot of scholars, myself included, believe the future of Islam,
especially Islamic democracy, rests in the Shia world. It's Iran and
Iraq where the most exciting experiments are being carried out." [24]

See also
List of Islamic scholars