http://afeministblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/saved-juno-gilmore-girls.html

A coin has two sides.
Just like a movie has many interpretations, not only two.
I plan to watch JUNO with my students this Monday. I have watched this movie
with another class before, around a month ago, and I think this movie is quite
‘safe’ to be watched by teenagers: there is no vulgar scene, although the story
is about a sixteen-year old teenager who gets pregnant outside the wedlock. I
opine that the script writer as well as the producer of this movie wanted to
give an alternative to teenagers how to face unwanted pregnancy; and to parents
a kind of suggestion how about to stand together with the pregnant kid, to be
supportive with the kid’s choice, instead of just blaming her without showing
any comforting response, without realizing that sometimes female teenagers get
pregnant not merely due to their own mistakes—such as accusation to have low
moral because having sex out of a wedlock—but can also be engendered by the
parents who don’t give enough attention, or too much controlling.

Saved!, Juno, Gilmore Girls

In this article, I want to compare three movies that have similar cases:
SAVED!, JUNO, and one serial GILMORE GIRLS. They all have the similar topic: a
sixteen-year-old girl who got pregnant outside the wedlock. Nevertheless, the
cause of the pregnancy is different. The way to handle the case is different
too.
SAVED! was produced in 2003/2004. This movie has very strong Christian
teachings as the background. Mary, the leading character, got pregnant because
she wanted to “save” his boyfriend who admitted that he was a gay in a
telling-secret-under-the-water game. Feeling shocked, and with her head crashed
something hard when she was about to go out of the pool, Mary saw a vision of
Jesus coming to her, telling her that she was chosen to ‘save’ Dean (from being
sinfully homosexual). Being able to make Dean enjoy their lovemaking, Mary
thought she was successful to “cure” his ‘psychological/mental disease’.
Therefore, she was very disappointed when knowing that Dean’s parents still
sent him to Mercy House, a kind of rehabilitation to ‘solve’ any kinds of
problems; such as addiction to drugs, homosexuality, until girls getting
pregnant outside the wedlock. She felt cheated by Jesus’ vision coming to her.
JUNO was produced in 2007. The cause of Juno to get pregnant was merely she was
curious to know what sex was like. ‘Playing’ something she didn’t know with one
good friend, Paulie Bleeker rewarded her unwanted pregnancy.
GILMORE GIRLS was produced in 2004/2005. Lorelai Gilmore got pregnant when she
was 16 years old merely because she wanted to rebel her controlling parents,
especially her mother, who never gave her freedom to be herself. She always
felt strangled in her parents’ luxurious house. Meanwhile, her teenage
boyfriend, Chris, did that to get rid of his parents’ obligation to continue
his study at Yale because he didn’t feel sure to be able to do that.
The solution to face the unwanted pregnancy is different. Mary, at SAVED! kept
it secret, trying to hide her pregnancy She even did not tell Dean about it,
not to her mother either. With help of her two schoolmates, Cassandra and
Roland, she tried her best to hide her swollen belly under some special
clothes. In another word, it can be concluded that Mary decided to keep her
baby, although at the very beginning she was thinking of abortion.
At Gilmore Girls—as people can easily guess, because this serial focuses on the
very intimate, best-friend-like relation between the mother and
daughter—Lorelai decided to keep her baby too, but by leaving her parents’ home
and doing her best to survive, as well as raising her daughter. She refused
Chris’ offer to marry him because she thought both of them were not ready yet
to live together in a marriage, moreover she knew very well that Chris was not
psychologically and financially mature yet. This would just make the marriage
not work well that possibly would just ruin the relationship of three of
them—Lorelai, Chris, and Rory, their daughter, especially Rory’s mental
development.
At JUNO, a bit similar to SAVED!, Juno was thinking of terminating her
pregnancy too. However, then, she got a very brilliant idea, to find a couple
of husband and wife who wanted to have a baby very much. She got one. The
difference from SAVED was that Juno didn’t try to hide her pregnancy from her
parents as well as her schoolmates. Bleeker, the father of the baby-to-be knew
too the result of their ‘playing game’.
None of the three movies gave solution to marry the sixteen-year-old girl with
the boy with whom they had sex, or with any other guy who was willing to “save”
the good name of the family, a typical solution that usually happens in
Indonesia.

Solution in Saved!, Juno, Gilmore Girls

SAVED! The failure of Mary to ‘cure’ Dean to me means that the producer as well
as the script writer wants to tell the viewers that some people indeed were
born to be homosexual, not because of the influence of wrong socialization.
Before Dean told Mary about his secret—being a gay—he was involved in a
Christian community, dedicated his life following Jesus’ steps. Any celestial
religion will consider homosexuals sinful therefore they must be ‘saved’. In
fact, Dean eventually had to give in his innate call.
Mary—who was involved in the same Christian community as Dean—was excited to be
‘chosen’ to help cure her boyfriend with the Jesus vision inside the pool.
However, after she ‘sacrificed’ by having sex with Dean, Dean was still a gay.
Furthermore, she seemed to be ‘punished’ by God to have sex outside the wedlock
with the unwanted pregnancy. This ‘accident’ made her lose her strong belief
that people would always find solution in religious teachings blindly, without
using their common sense. Eventually, her mother accepted the fact that Mary
got a baby; she did not need to send Mary to Mercy House because Mary was not a
problematic teenager only because she was pregnant outside the wedlock. Mary
needed the support of her mother to live her life much more strongly than to be
sent to that kind of rehabilitation center which in fact did not really help
the ‘victims’.
JUNO. Juno had decided to give away her baby to a couple when she told her
parents about her pregnancy. Feeling shocked, but trying to hide it, the
parents showed a strong support to Juno’s decision. The father—worried if Juno
would be cheated because she was just a kid—accompanied Juno when meeting the
couple who would adopt her baby. The mother protected Juno’s mental condition
when people accused her a problematic teenager with her unwanted pregnancy.
Juno expected that she would continue her life ‘normally’ (read  just like any
other teenagers who didn’t get similar accidents) after she delivered her baby.
GILMORE GIRLS. Lorelai decided to run away from home, to deliver her baby, and
to raise her using her own way—having intimate relationship with the baby, open
communication, without ‘you’ve-got-to-listen-to-me-coz-I’m-your-mother’ trait
toward Rory, a way to raise up a baby Lorelai believed would work much better
than just controlling. By doing so, she believed that Rory would not end up
getting unwanted pregnancy at a very young age.

Multi-interpretations

Especially the two movies above—Saved! and Juno—some people around me opined
that the movies even encouraged teenagers to ‘play’ with sex because when they
accidentally got pregnant, their parents would even support them and didn’t
punish them anything, not even to scold them. (This reminded me of one article
in a local newspaper stating that in the movie of BERBAGI SUAMI—LOVE FOR SHARE
in English—Nia Dinata wanted to encourage men to be polygamous.)
I have never invited my students to watch SAVED! so that I don’t get any input
yet from my teenage students. However, in JUNO, my teenage students could see
the complicated things Juno had to undergo, the insecurity a teenage girl had
to face in their daily life when getting unwanted pregnancy. This obviously
will NOT encourage them to get similar problem, moreover if their parents
punish them for embarrassing their ‘good name’ by getting pregnant outside the
wedlock.

Conclusion

A movie indeed can be interpreted from different points of views. When showing
a movie about teenagers’ life, we as parents/teachers are supposed to accompany
the teenagers and then have a live and open discussion to come up to a
beneficial interpretation for both sides.
PT56 11.54 140908

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.   (Sir James
Dewar)
visit my blogs please, at the following sites
http://afemaleguest.blog.co.uk
http://afeministblog.blogspot.com
http://afemaleguest.multiply.com

THANK YOU