http://www.almanar.com.lb/newssite/NewsDetails.aspx?id=72766&language=en

 *Hamas: Cease-Fire Deal Not Ready Yet*

05/02/2009 *Senior Hamas official, Ahmed Yousef*, told The Jerusalem Post on
Wednesday that "obstacles" still remain that are blocking a cease-fire deal
between Israel and Hamas.

The Hamas official said certain issues still needed clarification, such as
whether a cease-fire agreement would last one year or 18 months and how much
raw material and goods Israel would agree to allow in through the crossings
with the Gaza Strip.

"There is still some ambiguity regarding certain issues," Yousef, Hamas
deputy foreign minister and the former political adviser to Hamas leader
Ismail Haniyeh, said in Gaza City.
"Things don't sound like they will be solved in one or two days. It needs
more than just that," he added.

Yousef said earlier in the week that he believed it was likely that an
agreement would be in place by Thursday. But on Wednesday, he said he hoped
that a cease-fire agreement would be achieved before Israeli elections on
February 10.

"They keep saying that the devil is in the details," he said. "When they
brought the details, they saw many devils."
Yousef said that Palestinians need clarity regarding permanently opening all
of the crossings. "This is the only way life can go back to normal," he
said.

In addition, Hamas needed additional time to consult with other Palestinian
factions, such as Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of
Palestine, "to make sure they will achieve a consensus regarding the
cease-fire."

Consensus was needed to ensure that everyone abided by the terms of any new
agreement, he said.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Wednesday that Israel would likely accept a
cease-fire arrangement with Hamas if the group accepted the conditions
stipulated by Egypt.
"We are in touch with the Egyptians and if the Egyptians have in their hands
the ability to let us know about a type of arrangement that they think they
can announce, then we will accept it," Barak said.
"We have said that if there is quiet, then there will be quiet and if there
will not be quiet then we will be ready to take action."

Israel was connecting the negotiations for the release of Gilad Shalit to
the talks in Cairo and would only fully open the crossings into Gaza after
concluding that the negotiations for the soldier's release were on a "fast
track," defense officials said.

Israel is also opposed to a cease-fire with a time limit, and has told the
Egyptians that if attacked, it will respond with military force.

Regarding reconstruction of the Gaza Strip, Yousef said that Hamas believed
that the process should be monitored and audited by the Arab League and the
Islamic Conference Organization.
"We don't need anyone to accuse the Palestinians of corruption," he said.
Some of the money for the rebuilding of Gaza would be given directly to
Hamas, while some would be given to the Palestinian Authority, to UNRWA and
to European organizations or companies, he added.

When asked how parties would be able to donate to Hamas directly due to
Israeli sanctions, he said that most of the donations to rebuild Gaza would
be donated through the Strip's "banking system."

Yousef also said that the US new Middle East envoy George Mitchell should to
talk to Hamas "if they are to achieve a peaceful settlement to the
conflict."
He said he felt the Obama administration was serious in finding a way to
talk to Hamas.
"They understand that we are an active player in this game, and they are
interested, actually, in achieving peace, security and stability in the
region," he said.

Concerning the issue of Palestinian reconciliation, Yousef said that Hamas
leaders want Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to release
hundreds of its prisoners from PA jails and to stop intelligence cooperation
with Israel.
"You are collaborating with the enemy," he said. "This hurts our trust in
one another."