http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=299230&version=1&template_id=45&parent_id=25

Latest Update: Wednesday24/6/2009June, 2009, 11:52 PM Doha Time

Maid abuse may spark labour crisis

Siti, an Indonesian mother of two, busies herself with the daily chores of
washing, cleaning and cooking for her Malaysian employer as she thinks of her
family back home.

The 29-year-old native of Indonesia's Surabaya district has been working in
Malaysia for almost two years, during which she has never been allowed to leave
her employer's home by herself, let alone have a day off.

Siti, who has not heard from her family since coming to Malaysia, has also
never seen her Malaysian bank account which supposedly holds her salary, and
does not know where her employer keeps her travel documents. But she still
considers herself one of the luckier maids.

"I am lucky, at least my employer does not beat me, and I am given food to
eat," said Siti.  "I just hope they will give me all my money and send me home
once my contract has expired. I miss my family," she said.

Despite working conditions that could hardly be described as "lucky," Siti's
situation is so common in Malaysia it hardly raises an eyebrow among locals.
While the fortunes of foreign domestic workers vary with each different
employer, some recent cases of maid abuse have reignited a controversial debate
on the lack of laws protecting those migrant workers.

Last week, a Malaysian woman appealed an 18-year jail sentence handed down last
year after being convicted of physically abusing her teenaged Indonesian maid
by beating her, burning her with a hot iron and scalding her on several
occasions.
More recently, an Indonesian maid pried open the door of her employer's home to
seek help after claiming she had been physically abused and not given her
salary for the past three years.

Those are just some of the thousands of cases of maid abuse each year in
Malaysia, with at least 1,200 maids running away from their employers' homes
every month.  Rights and labour groups said the rise in abuse cases showed an
urgent need for the government to amend labour laws.

Currently, domestic workers are the only group of employees who are excluded
from benefits accorded to workers under the country's employment act, said A
Balasubramaniam, vice president of the Malaysian Trades Union Congress.  "They
don't get set working hours, termination benefits, sick leave, rest days,
public holidays, maternity leave, overtime and every other benefit a normal
employee is entitled to," he said.

"They are the most unprotected and vulnerable workers."
Following recent high-profile abuse cases, Indonesian ministers and top
officials scheduled talks with their Malaysian counterparts regarding the
continued supply of domestic workers.

Indonesian officials said the country may consider temporarily halting its
supply of maids to Malaysia to protest what appeared to be a lack of government
commitment to protect them.

Almost 85% of the country's 350,000 maids are from Indonesia, followed by the
Philippines and other South-East Asian countries. Indonesians also make up the
bulk of tens of thousands of illegal maids who enter the country each year.
In March 2003, Jakarta temporarily suspended permits for those wanting to work
as maids overseas, citing the need to train its workers better as the official
reason.  However, Indonesian officers said the move came after local
legislators complained of increasing abuse faced by the workers. DPA