Refleksi : Di Iran, Pakistan, Mesir etc wanita dibolehkan menyetir mobil,
tetapi di Arab Saudia  tidak dibolehkan wanita menyetir . Mengapa terdapat
perbedaan  dan apakah larangan ini sesuai dengan wahyu illahi?

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=124071&d=27&m=6&y=2009

Saturday 27 June 2009 (04 Rajab 1430)

      Women's transport: Solutions needed
      Laura Bashraheel | Arab News

      JEDDAH: In Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women are
not allowed to drive, transportation is definitely an issue. Women are usually
driven around by family members and personal drivers, or are forced to use some
other type of private transportation. While the private transport is a booming
business, the higher the demand the more expensive the supply becomes.

      Providing alternative solutions is the only exit. Some companies provide
cars and drivers to ferry their women employees for work purposes, but not all
companies have the budget to do that. Workingwomen, meanwhile, find it
difficult getting to work and are often charged thousands of riyals a month in
transportation.

      Hadeel Al-Amir, a 30-year-old employee at a private company, does not
have a personal driver. Her husband also travels a lot and so she used to face
an everyday dilemma when going to work.

      Therefore, she found a driver who charges SR1,200 a month to take her to
and from work everyday. Of course, she pays extra to go to other destinations
apart from work. "I pay SR40 per trip and sometimes even more if this driver is
not available," said Al-Amir.

      Al-Amir receives SR300 a month in car allowance. "The government should
provide more means of transportation," she added. She believes spending this
amount of money on transportation is a "rip off."

      "Limousines could come in handy sometimes but I have to wait in the
street to catch one," she said, explaining how she had to once wait for 20
minutes under the sun for a taxi.

      Many believe that buses would also be expedient. However, buses need
stations and a bus network, something that the Kingdom lacks. The few buses
that do operate in cities and towns across the Kingdom do so randomly.

      "I would go on a bus if the service was available the whole day," said
Mona Ismaeel who is 25 and employed at a company on Jeddah's Madinah Road. "Me
and my sisters spent huge amounts of money on transportation when we were
studying at university, not to mention the harassment of drivers," she said.

      Mona's father died and she has no brothers. "My mother uses my aunts'
drivers every now and then," she said, explaining how this is an embarrassing
situation.

      The family bought a small car but drivers would not last long. "Drivers
nowadays charge up to SR2,000 a month. We have a visa but our last driver only
stayed with us for one month and then ran away so he could work illegally and
earn double what he was getting from us," she added.

      Mona said the government should find a solution to the "humiliation" she
and women like her face. "Rich people do not worry about transportation. They
buy three cars instead of one and issue as many visas as they want," she said.

      Although the government is building bridges to ease congestion on
Jeddah's roads, they are still far from finding solutions to the problem.

      The private sector, however, recognizes the potential of the
chauffeur-driven car business. Meshwar, a car service company, provides
transportation and charges by the hour. The service started three years ago and
expanded due to high demand. According to Shadi Shakir, the company's marketing
manager, most of the company's clients are women. "Our customers are those who
do not have drivers and at the same time do not want to use taxis," he said.

      "The company was established to serve the needs of society. We are now
increasing our business," Shakir said.

      Saudis, however, are not the only ones who suffer from a lack of
transportation. Expatriates experience the same. They, however, are not allowed
to issue driver visas.

      A German expatriate, who lives and works here along with his wife and
son, faces a lot of problems especially since his wife works and son goes to
school. "Now we have a car, we are not allowed driver visas," he said, adding
that only foreign doctors and general managers are allowed that luxury, and
that he does not fall into either category.

      "The only way to get a driver is on the black market. We've hired an
illegal driver who charges SR1,800 a month," he said. He described his
situation as a "nightmare" especially since his wife does not speak Arabic and
so he has to find a driver who speaks English.

      At the same time, he worries about his son being ferried to school with a
complete stranger. "A train, metro or a monorail could be really convenient.
They would reduce the horrible traffic situation in Jeddah," he said.