http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/world/11984273.asp?gid=237

      Thursday, July 02, 2009 12:43

      Greek gov't launches ban on public smoking

      ATHENS - Wielding high fines, Greece's health ministry on Wednesday
launched a nationwide smoking ban - the third this decade - in a bid to
eliminate the habit in one of Europe's most nicotine-addicted nations.

       As a 2008 law banning smoking in public places officially came into
effect, Health Minister Dimitris Avramopoulos proudly spoke of a new era. "The
curtain has risen on a new era, as of today establishments are smoke-free and
nobody will smoke anywhere," he told state television NET. "In the end, we will
join the ranks of civilized nations," he said.

      Under the new legislation smoking will - again - be banned in hospitals,
schools, in public vehicles and in all public spaces. But after two prior
efforts this decade, and anti-smoking laws dating to the mid-19th century, many
Greeks do not share Avramopoulos' optimism.

      The first day of the law saw a mixed reception with some premises only
serving smokers outdoors but others carrying on as usual. "We have applied for
a smoking permit but it will take time, so for now we do not allow smoking
indoors," said Effie, a central Athens cafe waitress.

      Some are already trying to find ways to bend the rules. "Before the ban
we were smoking in the corridors and nobody complained, so I guess we'll do the
same," said an employee at state broadcaster ERT. Critics note that ambiguity
and loopholes in the new law threaten to render it little more than a smoke
screen.