http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/06/27/editorial-for-muslims-only.html

Editorial: For Muslims only
Sat, 06/27/2009 11:03 AM  |  Opinion

Many of us Jakartans probably don't realize the danger of the tendency toward
segregation in Greater Jakarta, where people choose to live in exclusive areas
for those of the same religion. It is very likely that in other cities, it is
becoming easier to find residential areas that are provided exclusively for
certain groups.

All stakeholders in this city need to wake up to this unhealthy trend before
it's too late, when people will want to live, work and socialize only with
people come from same religion, ethnicity or social and economic backgrounds.

This newspaper in its City page (page 21) ran a report about the growing
preference of Muslims in Depok to live in exclusive Islamic residences. Such
residential areas include Permata Darrusalam, Pesona Madani and Mawar
Residence. Such residential areas can also be found elsewhere in Greater
Jakarta, like in Tangerang, as well as in neighboring Banten, which boasts the
Islamic Village and Villa Ilhami. The residents argue they like to live in such
"enclaves" because they want to live in an Islamic atmosphere. It means they
want to make sure their children grow up, socialize and are educated in purely
Islamic ways.

Property developers see this trend as a lucrative business opportunity. But it
is hard to understand why the government does not take strong action to
discourage this trend. The city administration has the obligation to make sure
people are restricted to living in an area just because they are different from
their neighbors. It is disappointing that the government allows this negative
trend.

It is not impossible that Nahdlatul Ulama or Muhammadiyah members only want to
live among fellow members. It can also happen with people from other religions.
Do we want to see exclusive residential areas for Catholics, Protestants,
Buddhists or Hindus, or exclusive housing complexes for Javanese, Bataks,
Sundanese or Chinese? In the past, there are many complaints that our Chinese
compatriots preferred to form enclaves for themselves, like the housing
compounds in West Jakarta and North Jakarta -Kelapa Gading, Pluit and Pantai
Indah Kapuk.

It is really a setback because it occurs despite our efforts to create a modern
and pluralistic society, which was introduced by our founding fathers and had
become their commitment long before they declared the establishment of this
country.

Therefore, all parties who believe that unity in diversity is a really fitting
slogan for our country should do something to prevent such a trend from
growing.

And because Islam is the religion of the majority of this population, we wonder
why there are Muslims who feel insecure living alongside people of other
religions. The government and all stakeholders are responsible for making sure
the state treats all Indonesians equally. But is the government aware of the
threat of segregation?

Comments (3)  |
Hersumpana (not verified) - Sun, 06/28/2009 - 4:06pm

Indeed, the growing trends of the exclusive enclave today is a setback and a
dangerous game. But, the practice of "flagging religious color" amidst society
seemed to be a fashionable moral symbol which effectively followed by the
people and the government even permitted and proud of it. Not only for the
specific residential enclaves, in Yogyakarta we can find easily the specific
rented room for student which placated obviously : Just for Muslim.

The fashionable trend to use religious symbols is not only for Muslim. In part
of Yogyakarta resident enclave, there is also another enclave uses the other
name referred to ordinary names use by christian, such as Jl. Yerusalem, Jl.
Nasareth, ect. I have a big question in mind, why modern and educated people
like much to put the religious symbol for their identity? Is it really rooted
in the religious base or political trend which exploits the religious symbols
for their interest?

But, the fast growing the religious symbols is also strongly related to the
market reason, not only politics. The marriage of market, politic and religious
matter could be a serious problem for Indonesian people as a nation, if we
neglect our founders to be united in a nation, because of one course "to be
free from any oppression and colonized acts and beyond the difference social
ethnics, cultural and religious demarcation".

Siswasudarma
Yogyakarta

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/07/01/letters-preserving-pluralism.html

Letters: Preserving pluralism?

Wed, 07/01/2009 12:37 PM

Your editorial "For Muslims Only" (The Jakarta Post, June 28) should be taken
seriously by anyone wishing to be elected president in this country.

So far, I have been very disappointed by the quality of the debates between
those aspiring to be the next president and vice president. I'm also very
disappointed by what appears to be their irresolute and "safe" stances
regarding the brutal persecution of religious minority groups such as Ahmadiyah
by organizations like the Islamic Defenders Front.

Furthermore, their silence on the oppression of Christians in Depok by
prohibiting them to build churches, or the torching and destruction of places
of worship other than "the accepted Muslim" ones, and countless other similar
cases in which the current government has abysmally failed to defend Indonesian
citizens whose human rights have been brutally trampled underfoot is appalling.

Not to mention the disgraceful failure to grant justice to the victims of the
Lapindo Brantas disaster. Our country needs truly dedicated and brave saviors,
and it needs them right now.

We Indonesians do not need hypocritical, self-serving leaders who, in spite of
their honeyed promises, in reality do not care about the welfare of the
Indonesian people.

Our country's best interests will not be truly served by leaders who, in
obvious cowardice and eagerness to save their own skins, deliberately refrain
from strongly acting against injustices that are happening right before their
own eyes.

We urgently need leaders with powerful character who are truly committed to
God, who are brave enough to see what needs to be done to make a truly modern,
mature, pluralistic and safe Indonesian society and who dare to speak out
bluntly against those engaged in intimidating and oppressing fellow Indonesian
citizens.

We need leaders who have the courage to immediately act against and punish
those who deliberately engage in grievous wrongdoings, even if they claim to be
Muslims and wear Muslim attire. For it is universally known that the person who
accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
Furthermore, our current and future leaders should realize that every job is a
self-portrait of the person who did it.

Tami Koestomo
Bogor, West Java