http://www.gulfnews.com/world/United_Kingdom/10332549.html

      World's oldest man, WWI veteran dies age 113
      AP
      Published: July 18, 2009, 12:52

      London: Henry Allingham, one of the last surviving veterans of World War
I and the world's oldest man, died Saturday. He was 113.

      Allingham's longtime friend Dennis Goodwin said he died in his sleep at
St. Dunstan's care home in Ovingdean, near Brighton on England's south coast.

      "It's the end of a era a very special and unique generation," said
Goodwin. "The British people owe them a great deal of gratitude."

      Allingham was one of only two surviving serviceman from World War I in
Britain. The other is Harry Patch, who served in the trenches during the
conflict. There are no surviving French veterans. The last remaining American
veteran is Frank Woodruff Buckles of Charles Town, West Virginia.

      Allingham joined the Royal Naval Air Service precursor to the Royal Air
Force in 1915, and a year later took part in the Battle of Jutland, the war's
largest naval battle. During World War II he worked on measures to counter
magnetic mines.

      He co-wrote an autobiography, "Kitchener's Last Volunteer," a reference
to Britain's war secretary who rallied men to the cause and was made an Officer
of France's Legion of Honor.

      Allingham spent the last years of his life reminding others of the 9
million soldiers killed in the conflict, anxious that people should remember
their sacrifice.

      "I want everyone to know," he told reporters in November, "They died for
us."