http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=18787

Moroccan FM Fihri Talks to Asharq Al-Awsat

12/11/2009
By Hatim Al-Butaywi

London, Asharq Al-Awsat- Moroccan Foreign Minister Taib Fassi Fihri has
reiterated his country's absolute solidarity with Saudi Arabia's territorial
integrity and its condemnation of every attempt aimed at harming its safety and
peace regardless of the motives or those who incite and stand behind it.

Speaking in an interview conducted with him during his presence in London to
participate in the conference on investment in Morocco which was organized the
day before yesterday in the money and business quarter, Fihri said the region
is very sensitive and the security and stability of the Gulf is a priority for
Morocco, particularly whatever concerns the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's security
and stability.

On the other hand, the head of Moroccan diplomacy denied receiving a demand
from US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her presence in Marrakech to
normalize relations with Israel and open diplomatic representations in the two
countries' capitals. He said normalization and diplomatic exchange with Israel
are not on the table under the current conditions and pointed out that Morocco
is involved with the Arab peace initiative and therefore can only encourage the
parties to press ahead with the peace process. Regarding relations between his
country and Algeria, Fassi Fihri said: "Regrettably, Moroccan-Algerian
relations have not seen, so far, any progress. Morocco regrets this situation
in view of the aspirations of the region's five peoples and the Moroccan and
Algerian peoples' aspirations for joint action and the extent of its
importance." He added: "We have not received so far any sign from the brothers
in Algeria about engaging in a process of normalization, process of
communications, or any purely bilateral processes or any sign about opening the
land borders between the two countries." As to the Moroccan initiative for the
region that involves granting Western Sahara broader self-rule, he said "it
still exists and we are ready to negotiate about it." He went on to say: "We
would have reached the political solution required by the international
community had the other party had the political will, that is, a consensual and
negotiated solution, a solution that requires all parties to act in the spirit
of pragmatism and accord as the Security Council's recent solutions said."

Following is the text of the interview:

[Asharq Al-Awsat] There are several developments in the Middle East. There is
stagnation in the peace process and there is the threat of Palestinian
Authority Chairman Mahmud Abbas not to stand again for the presidency. Morocco
recently declared its unconditional support for Abbas. What role can Rabat play
to give impetus to the peace process and keep Abbas at the head of the
Palestinian leadership?

[Fihri] First of all, Morocco is demanding negotiations based on sound and
clearly defined bases so as to reach the final status solution. This means that
the negotiations should be embarked on according to specific criteria, that is,
the establishment of a fully sovereign Palestinian state within the 1967
borders and which is naturally viable at all levels, geographically contiguous
between the Gaza Strip and West Bank, and with Holy Jerusalem its capital. By
the way, everyone agrees on this.

There is now a retreat by the present Israeli Government. We in Morocco are not
demanding from brother Abu-Mazin to embark on negotiations in an environment
shrouded in ambiguity or reach a transitional interim solution of establishing
a state without borders, a state depending on Israel for its livelihood and
where it is difficult for the Palestinian brothers to move. The launch of
negotiations based on sound and clearly defined bases is possible. This is what
we heard from the new US administration and what the EU is working for.
Morocco's role in this context is firstly to remind of the principles and the
roadmap and also the importance of the Arab initiative which has become today
the initiative of all Muslim countries after its adoption by the Organization
of Islamic Conference.

On the other hand, we are following up the efforts aimed at achieving
Palestinian reconciliation and back the Egyptian efforts in this.

The region cannot remain in this situation and this is what we sensed from
Secretary Clinton last week in Marrakech. Her talks with some colleagues the
foreign ministers of fraternal Arab countries showed there is a conviction of
this approach that is based on holding negotiations about the final status
which lead to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state and not
something else that is vague which might lead to more difficulties that
complicate the situation further.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] It was noted that Secretary Clinton backtracked in Marrakech
on her support for Israel's proposal for stopping the settlement activities
during her visit to Tel Aviv. She changed her tone. In your opinion, was this
conviction the reason for backing down or was it just a stance dictated by
circumstances?

[Fihri] Secretary Clinton recalled in Marrakech President Obama's speeches and
said the settlements were illegal and that Jerusalem could not be exempted from
this. This remainder came at the right place, that is, in an Arab territory,
that of Morocco. She proved that some of her previous statements were probably
understood the wrong way. But the quality of the dialogue with Secretary
Clinton and the broadening of the dialogue with other Arab countries helped
clarify the image. We are also working at this at my meeting with my British
colleague David Miliband. He shares with us the same approach, that is, how can
we launch in the coming weeks the negotiations on the bases I mentioned before.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] Did you receive again from Secretary Clinton during her
presence in Marrakech a demand to normalize relations with Israel and open
diplomatic representations in the two countries' capitals?

[Fihri] No, definitely no. Morocco is involved with the Arab peace initiative
and therefore can only encourage the parties to press ahead with the peace
process. The issue (of normalization and diplomatic exchange) is not on the
table, particularly under the current conditions.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] Morocco declared its solidarity with Saudi Arabia after its
territories were attacked by the Huthists. What is your interpretation of this
situation?

[Fihri] Morocco can only express at the highest level, that is, His Majesty
King Mohammad VI and with him the Moroccan people, its absolute solidarity with
the Saudi territorial integrity and its condemnation of every attempt aimed at
harming its safety and peace regardless of the motives or those who incite and
stand behind it. At the same time, I would like to remind that Morocco had
already expressed its solidarity with the brothers in Yemen. The region is very
sensitive and the security and stability of the Gulf is apriority for Morocco,
particularly whatever concerns the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's security and
stability.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] The launch of a new round of negotiations about the Sahara
conflict is awaited. Is there anything new about it?

[Fihri] The recent royal speech marking the anniversary of the green march was
clear. First, the Moroccan mechanism which established the negotiations
dynamism still exists and we are ready to negotiate about it. We would have
reached the political solution required by the international community had the
other party had the political will, that is, a consensual and negotiated
solution, a solution that requires all parties to act in the spirit of
pragmatism and accord as the Security Council's recent solutions said. But,
regrettably, we have not felt this will from the other parties. Second, the
recent royal speech was clear about what we will be doing within a
Maghreb-Maghreb context as we wait for the final solution at the international
level for this artificial regional dispute. In this context, there is a
six-point plan covering the economic, political, and social levels in the
southern provinces that are very dear to every Moroccan. Therefore regarding
the negotiations, we are ready and waiting for a signal from the UN envoy to
the region. I would like to stress that we are still ready to negotiate but we
notice that the other parties resorted to some maneuvering and some practices
that are known to all after the Moroccan initiative was presented. Their aim is
to destroy the Moroccan effort by talking about the Moroccan state's
exploitation of natural resources in the south and by talking about human
rights violations even though Morocco is not in need for any lessons from
anyone in this. As to the persons who are dealing with the other parties
100percent to serve their interests, their dealing is unreasonable and the
Moroccan law and people cannot accept it.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] What is your opinion of POLISARIO's conditions when it
recently announced it would not resume the negotiations if Rabat did not
release the persons it talked about?

[Fihri] I said there are maneuvers and POLISARIO's recent announcement comes
under them. The negotiations are wanted by the international community and the
responsibility for negotiations cannot be avoided. We cannot even discuss a
precondition like this. We know that the other parties did a lot to exploit
these persons in this issue. Generally speaking, Moroccan justice will have its
say and announce its stand on the treason of these persons when they sat with
the other parties to serve their interests and in a military context that harms
Morocco's higher interests, including the security ones. We are not therefore
violating human rights, as they are saying, by violating the freedom of
movement and expression. We should not forget that there is a financed and
known strategic operation behind this raising of the human rights card. We hope
this will not affect the negotiations.

[Asharq Al-Awsat] In view of the developments, how are relations with Algeria
now? Are there direct contacts and bilateral discussion of the contentious
issues?

[Fihri] Regrettably, Moroccan-Algerian relations have not seen, so far, any
progress. Morocco regrets this situation in view of the aspirations of the
region's five peoples and the Moroccan and Algerian peoples' aspirations for
joint action and the extent of its importance. But, regrettably, we have not
received so far any sign from the brothers in Algeria about engaging in a
process of normalization, process of communications, or any purely bilateral
processes or any sign about opening the land borders between the two countries.
On the contrary and as I said before, they preferred to resort to maneuvers and
adopted negative stands that prevent pressing ahead to find a final solution
for the fabricated conflict.