http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\02\07\story_7-2-2010_pg3_5

Sunday, February 07, 2010

PURPLE PATCH: For the love of food -Mireille Guiliano

 Okay, so what are the secrets of French women? How do we account for all those
middle-aged women with the figures of 25-year-olds strolling the boulevards of
Paris?

At the outset, let's state that French women simply do not suffer the terror of
kilos that afflicts so many of their American sisters. All the chatter about
diets I hear at cocktail parties in the US would make any French woman cringe.
In France, we do not talk about 'diets', certainly not with strangers. We may
eventually share a trick or two we have learned with a very close friend - some
cunning refinement of an old French principle. But mainly we spend our social
time talking about what we enjoy: feelings, family, hobbies, philosophy,
politics, culture, and, yes, food, especially food (but never diets).

French women take pleasure in staying thin by eating well, while Americans
typically see it as a conflict and obsess over it. French women do not skip
meals or substitute slimming shakes for them. They have two or three courses at
lunch and then another three (sometimes four) at dinner. And with wine, bien
sûr. How do they do it? Well, that is a story. That is the story. One hint:
they eat with their heads, and they do not leave the table feeling stuffed or
guilty.

Learning that less can be more and discovering how one can eat everything in
moderation are keys. So are exertion in proportion to calories consumed and a
much more plentiful intake of water. We no longer work 18 hours a day in a mine
or on a farm, and our Palaeolithic hunter-gatherer days are long past.
Nevertheless, most Americans eat at least 10 to 30 percent more than needed,
not to survive but to satisfy psychological hunger. The trick is to manage and
gratify your appetites, while determining how, when, and what to reduce. The
wonderful feelings of satisfaction you will notice when a new menu is
introduced - a heightened enjoyment even as overall intake is decreased - will
then inspire you to continue along the wellness road. It is all a matter of
learning the most basic of French rules: fool yourself.

Many nutritionists promote a commonsense approach but charge a fortune to tell
you how to implement it. The money spent on attempting to lose weight is out of
all proportion with outcomes. Most women simply cannot afford to see a doctor
or nutritionist, join a health club, go to a spa, or have meals delivered. What
will it cost you to practice the secrets of French women? The only equipment is
a small scale to weigh some of your foods during the critically important first
three months. You might also want to buy a yogurt machine if you want to eat le
vrai yaourt, a key element in my lifestyle programme; and if you are past age
40, you should acquire some dumbbells for strength building. C'est tout.

As I recount my own story from adolescent meltdown to rescue to a new approach
that has worked for decades and counting, I lay out a path for you. I take
readers through a complete programme:

Phase one, wake-up call: an old-fashioned three-week inventory of meals. A
clear-eyed look at what you are eating, which itself, even after a couple of
days, can begin your turnaround.

Phase two, recasting: an introduction to the French school of portions and
diversity of nourishment. You will identify and temporarily suspend some key
food 'offenders'. This is usually a three-month process, though for some a
month will do the trick. It won't be a dietary boot camp, merely a chance for
your body to recalibrate. There is discipline, but flexibility is vitally
important, especially at this key motivational stage: the value of avoiding
routine both in meals and in activities, emphasising quality over quantity. No
pizza three days in a row, but also no three hours at the gym on Saturday. You
will acclimate with your five senses to a new gastronomy (a Greek word, even
before it was a French one, meaning 'rules of the stomach'). Three months is
not a short time, but neither is it long for something you will never need to
do again. Naturally, it takes longer to reset your body's dials than to lose
seven pounds of water, the initial part of many extremist diets. But because it
is French, there will be pleasures, lots of them.

Phase three, stabilisation: a stage wherein everything you like to eat is
reintegrated in proper measure. You have already achieved your reset
'equilibrium' and should be at least halfway toward your weight-loss goal.
Amazingly, at this point you can increase your indulgences and continue to slim
down or just maintain your equilibrium if you are already there. I give advice
for practicing ideas about seasonality and seasoning, powerful tools and not
nearly as much trouble as some imagine.

Phase four, the rest of your life: You are at your target weight, a stable
equilibrium, and the rest is just refinements. You know enough about your body
and preferences to make little adjustments in the event of any unexpected
drifts, especially as you enter new phases of life. Your eating and living
habits are by now tailored to your tastes and metabolism, so like a classic
Chanel suit, they should last you forever with minor alterations over the
years. Now you will be eating in a totally different light, with an intuition
to rival that of any French woman - a cultivated respect for freshness and
flavour that unlocks the world of sensory delights to be discovered in
presentation, colour, and variety. What you do you will do for pleasure, not
punishment. You will enjoy chocolate and a glass of wine with dinner. Pourquoi
pas?

(This extract is taken from French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano)
Mireille Guiliano is a French-American author and is a connoisseur of fine
foods and wines