http://www.pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=15951

Wednesday, February 17, 2010, Rabi ul Awwal 2, 1431

      Democracy not very successful in Pakistan: Musharraf

      Washington-Former President Gen. (Retd) Pervez Musharraf, who resigned
under pressure two years ago, has said that the experiment of democracy was not
as successful in Pakistan as it should have been.

      Giving an interview to CNN, Former President said that if the condition
of public can not be changed with democracy, then an analysis must be carried
out to check the loopholes in democracy.

      He also said that there is a difference between Taliban and local
Pakhtoons; however he does not know much about unbiased Taliban.

      While answering a question regarding becoming an ambassador or army
chief, he replied that he wants to be an army chief because he is a warrior and
is in love with the uniform.

      Talking about Pak-India tension, he said that this region is considered
to be a nuclear flash-point on an international level; where as peace in this
region is very important.

      Answering to a question, he said, he can return into a politics. "Every
Pakistani - every patriotic Pakistani - feels it in his heart and I also do
that at this moment Pakistan is not doing too well," he said in an interview.

      "So, if I can contribute anything to the country and if the people of
Pakistan want me to contribute, I certainly would like to look into that."

      Musharraf stepped down in August 2008 as the ruling coalition began
taking steps to impeach him.

      He had swept into power in a bloodless coup in 1999, and ruled for almost
a decade before his party, Pakistan Muslim League-Q, was dealt a significant
blow in parliamentary elections in 2008.

      Musharraf said he was not sure if he would create his own political party
should he return to politics.

      "I don't know as yet. One has to address all these issues. But one thing
is sure: I believe very strongly in the military maxim, 'Never reinforce
failure.' So I wouldn't like to reinforce failure."

      The former president said Pakistan has failed politically. "Democracy in
Pakistan has not really ever been very successful. And I mean 'successful' when
we expect democratically-elected governments to perform for their country, that
the country should be moving forward - progressing - and the welfare and
well-being of the people (are) being addressed," he said.

      "If that is not being done, I think we need to look into ourselves what
is it lacking in the democratic political dispensation in Pakistan."-Online