**by : Anand Krishna*

There is a beautiful Sufi saying that, earlier “Sufi” did not exist as a
term, but there were practicing Sufis everywhere. Now, the term “Sufi”
exists, but there is hardly any true practitioner.

The same can be said about “multi-religious co-operation” and “interfaith
dialogue”. Such terms were not popular earlier, but we had a genuine
co-operation among people of different faiths, and there was harmony in
society.

Now, the terms are popular, multi-religious and interfaith organizations are
abounding, but true co-operation and harmony are missing.

*What is Wrong?*

I *googled* “love”, and found 1,400,000,000 entries, against 178,000,000
entries for “hate”.

Similarly, “peace” had 215,000,000 entries, against 89,100,000 entries for
“conflict”, and merely 3,520,000 entries for “discord” (all results as on
Jan 18th, around 09.25 Jakarta time).

What do these figures tell us? Based on these figures, can we safely
conclude that love and peace are more popular than conflict and discord?

As “words” yes, as “terms” yes, as “ideas” yes, as “concepts” yes – love and
peace are certainly more popular than hate, conflict, and discord. The
hardcore realities of life however, tell us another story.

Love as an idea is great, but greater still is love in practice, through
sharing and caring. The Indonesian idea of love in practice is:

*Gotong-Royong*

Many would translate this as “co-operation”. The literal meaning, however,
is “sharing the burden”.

This is the Indonesian, indigenous concept of co-operation. Until a couple
of decades ago, it would have been inconceivable to add “multi-religious”
before co-operation.

In the languages of the archipelago, the term “Multi-Religious *
Gotong-Royong”*, indeed, would sound absurd. Co-operation is co-operation. *
Gotong-royong* is *gotong-royong*. Why to add “multi-religious” to it? What
is the need?

Jesus and Muhammad did not tell us to first check our neighbors’ religion
before reaching out to them.

*“Unconditional” Love*

* *

This is the spirit of *gotong-royong*. *Gotong-royong* is the coming
together of all people, working hand in hand for a common cause.

No rules, no regulations, and definitely no organizations were necessary to
implement *gotong-royong* in society. The notion of sharing our burden had
been part of our culture, and our civilization.

No religious injunctions were necessary to implement it. We did it, for we
knew it was good to help, to share the burden of those weaker than us.

Until not too long ago - for a lay Indonesian, a commoner - being good was
being godly. To practice goodness was to practice godliness.

This, goodness, godliness, was the:

*Foundation for Gotong-Royong*

Upon this, very platform of goodness, and godliness, we stood together.

With more than 16,000 islands, and a population of over 70 million; hundreds
of ethnicity and spoken languages - it was a gigantic task for the founding
fathers of the modern Indonesian state to unite us all before proclaiming
Indonesia’s independence.  But, they did it. And, they did it without
resorting to any religious belief, sanction, a promise of heaven, or a
threat of eternal hellfire.

They knew that it was not possible to unite such diverse peoples with a set
of certain religious doctrines, or dogmas. A national platform built upon
such would have been very fragile, frail, and not strong enough to hold the
weight of a large nation.

Therefore, they built the national co-operation upon the foundation of
nation’s own cultural heritage, values, history, and indigenous wisdom.

* *

*Bhinneka Tunggal Ika*

First and foremost was the recognition of nation’s diversity in all fields
and on all levels:

   - *Largest Archipelago: 17,508 Islands (6,000 inhabited)** *
   - *Largest Economy in Southeast Asia** *
   - *Largest Muslim Population, and a House for the Followers of Almost All
   Major World Religions, and Several Indigenous Beliefs *
   - *World’s Most Populous Island: Java** *
   - *2nd Highest Level of Biodiversity** *
   - *4th Most Populous Country: 237 million people** *
   - *16th Largest Country (Land Area): 1,919,440 sq km** *
   - *300 Distinct Native Ethnicities 742 Languages/Dialects*

* *

Next was the finding of an indigenous formula to unite the diverse populace.
And, this was *Bhinneka Tunggal Ika* – usually translated, or rather,
mistranslated as “Unity in Diversity”, the phrase actually means:

*“Appearing as Many, Essentially One”*

“Unity in Diversity” does celebrate Diversity, but remains an ideology, or a
mere concept, when it comes to uniting people. Why should they unite?

“Appearing as Many, Essentially One”, on the other hand, focuses on the
underlying and the essential unity. We all are one. The differences among us
are superficial. They are apparent, not latent.

We all come from one and same source, both spiritually and physically. The
mapping of human DNA has proven this fact beyond any doubt. Our founding
fathers, however, did not stop at that. They further formulated the way to
implement this.

*Pancasila*

* *

Enshrined in these “Five Principles” is the essence of all human values:

   - Religiosity or Godliness
   - Humanity
   - Nationality
   - Democracy, Guided by Inner Wisdom
   - Social Justice for All

* *

The first principle did not speak of God, but of Godliness. It was not about
any particular religion, but about the essence of all religions, the
religiosity. This way they could embrace one and all, including those who
followed a totally different belief systems from the mainstream religious
groups.

*Indonesia Then*

Visiting India, about 60 years ago, one of our founding fathers, also the
first president, Sukarno, scoffed at Indian shopkeepers who took pride in
displaying their religion on their signboards, “Hindu Tea Stall”, “Muslim
Restaurant”, and so on and so forth.

Around the same time, then president Radhakrishnan of India was amazed at
how we on the archipelago had preserved our culture and traditions, deeply
rooted in the ancient Indus Valley civilization, irrespective of our
religious affiliations.

*Indonesia Now*

Unfortunately, the situation today is changed. What happened in India then,
is happening in Indonesia now, today.

Culture had united us, then. Religion is dividing us, now. We had no
multi-religious, and interfaith organizations then, but had interfaith
harmony. We have many multi-religious, and interfaith organizations now, but
no interfaith harmony.

*Religious Fanaticism*

It is clearly on the rise. And, in fact it has been so for last two decades.
Unfortunately, our authorities were, either unable to read the writings on
the wall, or had their own vested interests, and therefore deliberately
allowed it to happen.

Several years ago when I discussed the issue with one of the ministers and
requested him to learn from the Pakistani experience - as acknowledged by
former President Musharraf in his autobiography *In the Line of
Fire<http://www.amazon.com/Line-Fire-Memoir-Pervez-Musharraf/dp/0743283449>
* – he took it very lightly, “But, I see nothing wrong if someone is fanatic
about his religion.

“Terrorism and violence have nothing to do with religion.” – Cliché, a
worn-out line indeed, but still being used and misused by many, including
the so-called moderate clerics.

I reminded him of what Mahatma Gandhi had to say on this, “A fanaticism that
refuses to discriminate is the of all ideals.”

He stuck to his line, and I realized that it was no use talking to the wall.

*Fanaticism, Extremism, Radicalism, and Terrorism*

* *

These are inseparable. Fanaticism is the womb that gives birth to terrorism.
Extremism and radicalism are the stages before such birth.

I recall the statements made by former Vice President Hamzah Haz, not long
before the Bali bombing in 2002. He refused that we had terrorist cells and
training camps in the country. He was wrong.

Bali bombing was only the beginning.

We have, ever since, been bombed several times. Most of the executors have
been our own people, Indonesians. And, yet, speaking in international
forums, the leaders of our religious institutions are reluctant to admit
that growing fanaticism and radicalism have divided our society.

Like it or not, religion has been used, or rather misused, to justify acts
of terror. Religion has been presented in such a way, and by its own
followers, that it has lost both its meaning and its utility as a uniting
force.

*Redefining the Role of Religion*

This is the greatest challenge faced by all religions, and religious groups.
There can be no multi-religious co-operation, if the very meaning and
definition of religion, and its role remain unclear.

All of our religious texts contain both, universal truths relevant for all
times, and contextual truths addressing to the burning issues of a
particular time period. The followers of all religions must be wise enough
to differentiate between the two.

When the contextual is presented as universal – religion ceases to be a
binding force. Until and unless this point is clearly understood and
resolved, there can be no lasting co-operation among the different religious
groups.

For example the various issues in the Middle East are actually politically
and economically motivated. They are not religious issues. By bringing in
religion into those issues, they have no only complicated them, but
endangered the entire world.

*Indonesia’s Homegrown Terrorists*

Indonesia has nothing to do with the conflicts in the Middle East. Yet, our
homegrown terrorists, and their supporters, justify their acts of violence
and terror by citing the conflicts there as the cause.

Why?

This is because of the very nature of religion, which is expansive, and all
embracing. Religions and religious teachings go beyond our national
boundaries and geographical locations.

As such, religious “force” can be both used, and misused. We can use
religion to bind us together as one world family. We can also use religion
to create sub-families within the family, sub-tribes within the one human
tribe.

Unfortunately, many of us have been, and are using religion to divide, and
not to unite. We have been creating divisions on all levels, with the
end-result that today even one and same religion is divided in so many
sects.

*Sectarianism*

Addressing the first Parliament of Religions in Chicago (1893),