Hi Klaus.

Have you seen this before:

landau.ics.mq.edu.au> pdfthumb quizM3C.pdf quizM3C-thumbs.pdf
This is PDFThumb version 0.1.
Reading document...
Exception in thread "main" de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.TokenMgrError: Unexpected character
'(' found
 in text string.
        at
de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.PDFParserTokenManager.MoreLexicalActions(PDFParserTokenManage
r.java, Compiled Code)
        at
de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.PDFParserTokenManager.getNextToken(PDFParserTokenManager.java
, Compiled Code)
        at de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.PDFParser.jj_scan_token(PDFParser.java, Compiled
Code)
        at de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.PDFParser.jj_3_1(PDFParser.java, Compiled Code)
 ...etc...

The special feature of the PDF that fails is that it contains
embedded JavaScript code, which includes tokens such as ( and )
which normally are not allowed directly in PostScript strings.
I'm guessing that this triggers the 1st error-message above.

Just for the record, GhostScript has a problem too:

landau.ics.mq.edu.au> thumbpdf quizM3C.pdf
THUMBPDF 1.9, 16.09.1999 - Copyright (c) 1999 by Heiko Oberdiek.
*** make png files / run ghostscript ***
AFPL Ghostscript 7.00: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
!!! Error: "/typecheck in --known--" (ghostscript)!

For an example to work with, pick any of the PDF files from:
        http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/texdev/MATHS/MATH237/QUIZZES/

I hope you can do something to fix this.
In the mean time, we'll just have to do without thumbnails in these
documents, else make them in Acrobat (sigh).

All the best,

        Ross Moore