>your exact abcde example works here as expected,
>so it's probably your ppower4 setup. Our header contains this:
>
>       % Load stuff for slides Layout
>       \ifpdf
>       \RequirePackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
>       \else
>       \RequirePackage{hyperref}
>       \fi
>
>       % Needs to be after hyperref,
>       % option clash otherwise
>       \RequirePackage{pause}
>       \RequirePackage{pp4link}
>       \RequirePackage{mpmulti}

still the same problem. I also tried to compile the leveldemo.tex example and
even that does not work w.r.t. \levelpause. For instance the footer appears
always at the end. Moreover things do not disappear although they should
(according to the demo).

But, I realized that when I use pdflatex, the result is a PDF-1.2 file.
Can this be the problem? I've seen that the file you sent me is PDF-1.3

cheers,
ddino