                Primetime on MSNBC

THE WEEKEND PRIMETIME NEWSLETTER
Friday April 12th- Sunday April 14th, 2002

***HIGHLIGHTS***

        Unlike those of us in the news business, we know most of you have social
lives.  So, go out on Friday night, have a nice dinner.  Then go home and catch a new
documentary-- one that has us particularly proud.
        It airs FRIDAY AT 10PM ET, and is called, MSNBC REPORTS: IN A CHILD'S BEST
INTEREST.  For the first time in America, television cameras have been allowed inside
a juvenile courtroom... after a groundbreaking decision by the Indiana Supreme Court.
MSNBC and NBC are teaming up on Friday night to bring you three hours of primetime TV
that shows just what happens to children, who have been abused by their familes, and
then must endure an agonizingly complicated court system.  This documentary is
eye-opening.  We hope you'll tune in.

        Then, on SATURDAY AT 9PM ET we take on a tough topic, head on.  WHEN IS IT OK
FOR POLICE TO USE DEADLY FORCE TO SUBDUE A SUSPECT?  In MSNBC INVESTIGATES: USE OF
FORCE we take you through three cases, where deadly force was used... and it was all
CAPTURED ON CAMERA-- or was it?  The scenes play out for the camera, but the cops say,
you're definitely not getting the whole story.

        And on SUNDAY AT 8PM ET, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER takes us back to the
jungle with a woman who is world-renowned for her primate reserach, with JANE GOODALL:
CHIMPS IN CRISIS.  In this premiere, Goodall returns to Tanzania, home to her
groundbreaking research that began over 40 years ago when she first entered the forest
in search of humankind's closest living relative.  Now with chimpanzees on the brink
of extinction, Explorer joins Goodall and the next generation of primate researchers
in a critical effort to find out where -- and how many -- wild chimpanzees remain.
This is classic Nat Geo... and there is a moment in this piece you can't miss, when
the only remaining chimp of those Goodall first met four decades ago ***RECOGNIZES
HER!***  You have to see this!

Now, for some more details about what's on MSNBC this weekend:

FRIDAY, APRIL 12
7PM
HARDBALL WITH CHRIS MATTHEWS

8PM ET
THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

9PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: THE RUNAWAYS
        This is, by far, one of the grittiest documentaries we've produced--
horrifying and entertaining, at the same time.  Our producer lived with a "family" of
street kids on the streets of Portland, Oregon where there is a seemingly endless
supply of cheap heroin.  Most of the kids are drug addicts, one is seven-months
pregnant!!!  All of them tell us exactly what they are thinking, there are NO filters
here, folks.  We're a little biased, of course, but trust us, if you've missed this
program in the past, you should catch it this time around.

10PM-12AM ET
***MSNBC RESPORTS: IN A CHILD'S BEST INTEREST***
        This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to peek inside the juvenile justice system
that has never before been open to television cameras.  Our producer fought for the
right to shoot inside the courts in Indiana where she documented the cases of
desperate, abandoned, abused, pregnant, mentally ill, and drug addicted children.  She
was also invited into the homes of the parents and children who are trying to maneuver
through the complicated foster care system.  You can read more about the program in
today's NEW YORK TIMES or click on http://www.msnbc.com/news/599517.asp for
information on this and all our primetime programs.

SATURDAY, APRIL 13
9PM
***MSNBC INVESTIGATES: USE OF FORCE***
        We hear about police shootings all the time.  But according to criminal
justice experts, they're so rare
that the average officer would have to be on the force 400 years before using his
service revolver in a fatal shooting.  Even so, it seems to play out the same--
officers sensing no other alternative fire their weapons, leaving the public and the
suspect's family asking why deadly force had to be used at all.  So when are police
justified in using deadly force?  And when should their actions be prosecuted?  We
bring you several cases, that all play out ON VIDEOTAPE.  Should the cops have fired?
Should they be punished for having done so?

10PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: TERROR IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD
        February 28, 1997.  A Bank robbery quickly turns into an all-out gun battle
between two suspects and an army of police officers.  But it's the cops who are
outgunned.  In this chilling documentary we take you back to that day, in North
Hollywood, where the cops tell us of the sheer terror of being in the middle of a
battle the suspects intended to fight to the death.  For those who lived to tell their
stories, will life ever be the same?  And why, after this 42 minute assault, were the
cops left to defend themselves, accused of committing murder!  The action in this
program may seem like a scene out of a movie-- but it's horrifyingly real.

11PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: HOLLYWOOD VICE
        Bad girls, bad girls-- whatcha gonna do?  More than a thousand prostitutes
were arrested on one street alone last year-- Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles.
Now's your chance to ride along with the vice cops who are losing the fight to clean
up the streets.  And now they've got a new player complicating things... the internet.

12AM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: RED LIGHT SURVIVORS
        Are you getting the theme here?  We're back on the streets for a second hour,
with women (and men) who say they've "chosen" prostitution as a career opportunity.
Why do they put themselves at risk for disease, or attack... or worse?  Maybe the fact
that it's a $15 billion dollar a year industry has something to do with it?

SUNDAY APRIL 14
8-10PM ET
***NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER: JANE GOODALL: CHIMPS IN CRISIS***
        Gombe Stream National Park stands as an island forest in the middle of
clearcuts, one of the few safe havens left for chimps in the world.  One of the
world's foremost experts on primates, Jane Goodall has a very personal objective
during this trip to Gombe.  As she crawls through the undergrowth, she searches for
Fifi, the matriarch of these chimps and the only chimp remaining out of those she
first befriended over 40 years ago.  Recognizing one another, they share a poignant
moment as this could be their last meeting.

10PM ET
MSNBC REPORTS: IN A CHILD'S BEST INTEREST

12AM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: THE RUNAWAYS

**For the latest in the schedule go to: www.prime.msnbc.com

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received this MSNBC Primetime
Announcements
newsletter because you subscribed to it or, someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=22