Just curious for other opinions... but wouldn't this (Heartbleed) sort of
buffer excess read-back failure have been prevented by utilizing a "safe"
language like Lisp or SML?

I used to be an "unsafe" language bigot -- having mastered C/C++ for many
years, and actually producing C compilers for a living at one time. I felt
there should be no barriers to me as master of my machine, and not the other
way around.

But today's software systems are so complex that it boggles the mind to keep
track of everything needed. I found during my transition years that I could
maintain code bases no larger than an absolute max of 500 KLOC, and that I
actually started losing track of details around 100 KLOC. Making the transition
to a higher level language like SML or Lisp enabled greater productivity within
those limits for me.

Dr. David McClain
d...@refined-audiometrics.com