!
! Bob, do you really believe the US never intervened in other
countries
! for economic  interests?

Who said that? Not I.

Clearly it is in our economic interest to have a regime in Iraq that
isn't pro-terror, anti-United States, with delusions of being the next
Nebuchadnezzar. It is moreover in our economic interest to ensure that
long-term, all despotic regimes in the middle east are toppled and/or
otherwise replaced by democratically elected governments and control
of the education of the Arab "man in the street" is wrested from the
hate-filled religious fanatics who fund and breed fodder for Al Qaeda.

That hasn't always been so, sadly. We have funded those regimes and
propped them or indirectly allowed them to be propped up for the sake
of "cheap oil" and our policy in Iraq has them all more or less
shaking their boots and flipping out. This notion that our economic
interests were served better by dictators with a heavy hand rather
than free societies is what has changed in our outlook since 9/11.

I would like to point out that the claim that we invaded for cheap oil
was precisely backward. It was for the sake of cheap oil that we never
cleaned that rats nest in the first place. Now that oil is a bit more
expensive maybe the lunacy of that argument can be shown for what it
always was. The people who were fighting for cheap oil were the people
who fought against us and still seem to think the world would be a
better place with Saddam in power.

For France and certain elements in other European countries, it was in
their economic interest to keep Saddam in place and eventually to get
the sanctions lifted for Chirac's buddy. I don't begrudge them their
rational self-interest, but I note sadly that in light of their
unseamly involvment in the oil-for-food scandal, none of our armchair
patriots here seem the least offended that what really lie beneath
their opposition to our military engagement was little more than
kickbacks and bribes, not the lofty principles articulated by that
fraud de Villepin in his passionate knife-in-the-back of Colin Powell
at the UN.

The higher gas prices that have resulted were not in our short term
economic interests, and hence were contrary to the short term
political interests of the Republican party and President Bush. They
have exacted their toll, and may give power back to the Democrats in
November. But if we stay the course, long term the ME will be a better
place because we took action that in the big scheme of things will
redound to the positive, though that doesn't mean nothing negative can
or will happen. The only people being silly right now in terms of
expectations are the naysayers whose pettiness today is really quite
shocking.

Will there be more terrorst attacks? Of course. This is because there
will always be bad people. But will mullahs be ruling the ME the next
100 years? That now is in jeopardy if democracy in ME takes hold. If
the mullahs lose power, then civilization has a chance in that part of
the world, and the civilizing affects thereof will do more to
eliminate terrorism than all the bombs and kumbayas of both extremes
of our political process combined.

- Bob