!       It's always interesting to hear war spoken about as something

! glorious, when those who have actually been in battle will tell you

! that it is horrific. Yet our war-supporting media is filtering out
! the disturbing images coming out of Iraq so as not to turn
! the public
! against the war.
!
!       It's important to look at these images, and realize
! that people who
! are calling for continuing this war are endorsing these images, and

! calling for more of them. No sugar-coating; this is what they are
! supporting.
!
! <http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/37572/>
!
! ( -or- http://tinyurl.com/oq6qf )

It's always fascinating to listen to indoor plumbing spoken of as
something civilized and wonderful, when those who have worked in
sewage plants know that the shit really stinks. Yet our pro-sanitation
media is filtering out the disturbing images one can easily find in
any city waste disposal plant on the planet, so as not to turn the
public against indoor plumbing.

It's important to look at these images, and realize people who are
calling for more water and sewage treatment plants are endorsing these
images, and are calling for more of them. No sugar coating; this is
what they are supporting.

http://www.cormix.info/images/3,NGSPicturePak%2335,Sewage.jpg
http://www.sas.org.uk/pr/images04/sewage.jpg
http://www.pepa.com.hk/gallery/photos/pollution/SEWAGE.jpg
http://www.enviro-lynx.com/stock-photography/images/Sewage%20Overflow.
jpg
http://www.allanindustries.com/images/Sewage-1.jpg
http://www.holidaytravelwatch.net/Images/gallery/photos/Original%20Fil
es/San%20Andres%20raw%20sewage%20swamp.JPG
http://www.cleansafeservices.co.uk/sewage.phtm
http://www.afpc.org/images2/DPIS0904/sewage.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/icandigital/sewage.jpg

On a serious note, appeals to emotion and impugning of motives are
part of Ed's famous double standard (OK if he does it, if others do it
from a different perspective they're twits); nevertheless, I should
like to clarify that I am not in favor of blowing up women and
children. I am in favor of blowing up terrorists and dictators, who
unfortunately happen to enjoy blowing up women and children. I'm also
in favor of other people -- yea, even people who aren't white and
don't live in upstate New York -- enjoying economic liberty and
political freedom. This would include even Iraqis.

The analogy to indoor plumbing isn't entirely glib. The idea is that
there is dirty work in any worthwhile civilized thing, some of which
is not for the weak of stomach. The people we are engaged in fighting
are literally scum of the earth---truly bloodthirsty thugs with no
regard for humanity or the rules of war let alone the Marcus of
Queensbury rules we're supposed to use when confronting them. This
inclination to want to paint our soldiers and our leaders in that
conspiratorial and clandestine light, as if the poor hapless Saddams
and Zarqawis and Kim Il Sungs and mullahs of the world are innocent --
what was Bill's term? -- _casualties_ of the "warmongers" in
Washington is offensive to me, but alas, people are entitled to hold
their opinions, however silly.

I don't support innocent people losing their lives in these
conflicts---but how do you avoid that and still confront the thugs and
murderers who thrive on it? No, Kofi Annan isn't the answer; not even
close. You can't negotiate with these murderers. What's your bright
idea? I think knocking out regimes that support them and helping the
formerly oppressed people get on their own feet is a noble thing,
albeit riskier than negotiating with dictators for cheap oil and
turning a blind eye to their repressive regimes (which was what we did
for decades previously).

Anyway thanks Ed for the opportunity to clarify.

- Bob

!
! -- Ed Leafe
! -- http://leafe.com