From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Calco
Sent: 20 June 2006 11:55
To: 'ProFox Email List'
Subject: RE: [OT] Images of war

! << The analogy to indoor plumbing isn't entirely glib !
! Of course it is.  How can you possibly compare indoor plumbing to war?

Jeez Dominic do I have to spell it out?

Because we are not 'making war' for the sake of killing people so that
we can have more misery and death captured on gruesome photographs, as
Ed crudely claims. He is appealing to emotion---the natural human
reaction to seeing the images---and impugning motives (as if to say, see
what monsters they are, the people who support this policy) in order to
set up an unsound syllogism---"To be for the policy of liberating Iraq
from the terrorists and thugs you must be for babies getting killed and
families torn apart. Since no human can possibly be for that (just look
at the gruesome images and ask your own heart!), people who support the
policy must be inhumane."

He was analogously saying that people who ostensibly advocate something
positive (say, indoor plumbing) REALLY advocate its dark side (more
stink and sewage).

! To my knowledge, indoor plumbing has never killed anyone, or !
resulted in ! civil war.  How many women and children have been killed
from indoor ! plumbing?  I think you have over stepped the mark in bad !
taste here Bob.

I think I was using the analogy to illustrate the absurdity of Ed's
renowned and esteemed logic. Ed was the one IMHO who stepped over the
line.

I don't advocate hiding the images and the reality of war's dark side,
but I also think the desire to use them in the way Ed and then Dave
Crozier advocates is simply because they know the images can be used to
cloud logic with emotion to the benefit of their policy position.

Fine propagandize all you want with the images (people use this tactic
all the time, regardless of political persuasion)---not even knowing (as
the author of the article admitted he didn't know) when or how most of
the images came about. The implication was that they were all victims of
American bombing, but in case you didn't notice most of the bombs in the
last three years have been going off because Iraqi reactionaries and
foreign terrorists have been engaged in a campaign to produce as many of
those pictures as they can in order to weaken our resolve to defeat them
and reassert authoritarian control over the Iraqi population