Who calculates these numbers?  Who audits them?  How do we know they are
not Enron'ed?

I am serious about this.  There is a lot of talk about strong economy
and assorted positive aspects, but tell the truth, have you experienced
them?

I mean like unemployment is down (or so they say).  Are they counting
the people who have used up all their benefits and can no longer file a
claim?  Or did those people magically become "employed" because they are
not claiming unemployment benefits?

You guys and gals are smart, how 'bout 'splainin' dat to me, Lucy?

Well Hal, first off you have to understand the numbers game.

When they said in 2004, "we're going to halve the deficit in 5 years",
you and I might have logically thought they meant they were going to
run surpluses to pay down the debt they've already built up.

What they meant was, "we can't spend in line with revenues, BUT
we're only going to be half as bad as we've been since we got into
power".

Of course it turns out they can't even do that so they have Enron'ed
the books. To do that they've abused what is known as "Supplemental
Appropriations". These are appropriations done after the budget year
has started so, guess what, they don't get counted in the official numbers.

During the 80's they were used to help Reagan's deficits not look quite
as bad. During the 90's the total for the decade was $138 billion, of
which $49 billion was the first Gulf War.

Since George Bush took office Supplemental Appropriations have
reached $950 billion just through 2005.

You can always count on the RepubliCONS to fudge the numbers
because they have to. No RepubliCON administration in the history
of this country has ever balanced the budget. They always run deficits.

Their "Supply Side" theory is so bogus it's not even funny anymore.
Oh, they can draw you charts and throw out numbers that will make
your head spin around. You just have to remember they're all just
smoke and mirrors.

There's a reason high tax rates for people who make a lot more
money than they need to live on and provide for their long term
future is a good idea. It forces them to get off their ass and invest
in things that produce. Investing in the stock market does not.

To answer your last question, no, they don't count folks who
have used up their unemployment benefits.

Jim Eddins