On 6/28/06, Tristan Leask <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just pondering about something.

How do you guys sort the data out for a new application installation?
Do you generate it from within your program using the data layer to
build up whatever files are required therefore the same generation code
can be used for DBF/MySQL/MSSQL/yada...?

Are you talking about the data itself, or the data structures/metadata?

I use xCase for data design, and it generates create scripts (like
GenDBC scripts). When I make a change, it generates an update script.
We can pass those around, run them as part of an update process and
store them in source code control to track changes.

The way to "do it right" is to store a free table that has a version
number and a script to move from the previous version to the current
one. Store a version number inside the database. Compare the two and
run the scripts to upgrade from old to new.

Most of my apps are custom and installed in a few sites, so we manage
the process manually. The shoemaker's children and all that.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC