Judith Barer wrote:
 I realize that I do have to update more than one table. So I can use
table buffering but can I still use the SQL update, insert and delete
commands.  It says the following in the help file on cursorsetprop
"Note   Buffering is not applied to tables that are opened implicitly,
for example, using SQL INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE commands." This sounds like those commands ignore table buffering. So then I would have to use append , replace and delete for table buffering to work?
Hi Judith,

When it talks about opening a table implicitly it means that the command will open the table for you, and therefore will not do CURSORSETPROP(....)
E.g.

Close tables all
use file1
scatter memvar
insert into file2 from memvar && note file2 not open but opened by the insert.

When you open explicitly you can then use table buffering.
E.g.

Close tables all
use file1
scatter memvar
use file2 in 0
CURSORSETPROP(1,.t.,'FILE2')        && enable buffering
insert into file2 from memvar

Then you can use tableupdate to save the changes.

The reason I suggest using buffering for more than one table is that you would have to update one table, then try and update the next table. This could cause problems if you could not update the second table (no rollback without transactions). You could go through both files with SET MULTILOCKS ON and get all the locks before doing the updates but it is much easier to do the changes with buffering.

Peter

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed.Its contents are confidential and may
be protected in law.  Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may
be unlawful.If you have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone or email.

While Rajan Imports has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise the risk of virus transmission through email, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they have adequate virus protection.

www.rajan-group.co.uk

Rajan Imports Ltd
Head Office:61 Great Ducie Street, Manchester M3 1RR. Tel:0161 831 3700 Fax:0161 831 3715
London Office:17-19 Foley Street, London  W1W 6DW Tel:0207 299 7960