On 7/13/06, Dave Crozier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Has anyone out there had any exposure to the open source Asterisk PABX
software? Comments and observations/experiences would be welcome as we are
looking at installing a new telephone system and would like to go VOIP
internally.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg14629.html

Is that going to work for you guys? I mean, UK is 50 Hz, 220 VAC
mains, PAL video. Next you'll be using avoirdupois!

I know of a couple of local LUG members who've installed Asterisk in
their SOHO offices and with clients. It's pretty cool stuff.

From what I have gathered, you'd likely want to use IP phones to get
the most features from the system (flash, hold, conference, etc.) But
it will work with "standard" 4-wire/2-wire RJ-11 phones as well. The
IP phones just have to be on the network, but the RJ-11 phones need to
be individually routed back to cards in the Asterisk server. So, the
choice of which way to go depends on what you've got for a physical
plant now, what features you need, and how much the budget can handle.
Hmm... I guess it always does, doesn't it?

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC