At 12:27 AM 8/15/2006 -0400, MB Software Solutions wrote:

Heh, I didn't say I designed it. I cannot take any credit for anything =
you are seeing with varchar involved. <g>
but varchar is a *good* thing, isn't it? Oh wait...are you saying it's better optimized as fixed length chars? Do elaborate.

From a very general Computer Science perspective, data storage of 'variable' length fields and records requires more "work" from the DB engine. E.g. indexing, searching, retrieval, etc has to be concerned with End of Field and End of Record 'marks', etc. A fixed length field/record means data locations in files are a very simple calculation with no parsing of actual data. I presume this is why a lot of my VFP apps out-performed the SQL (Informix, SQL Server, Oracle) counterparts in the past.

Of course, the DB Vendors are constantly trying to improve their performance. So they've come up with smart 'caching' and other optimizations to help speed up the DB functions on variable length fields/records. And, because of the additional layers being heaped on DB access (OLE DB, etc), and the general 'set' (and client/server) theory of SQL, it's sometimes hard to tell where the performance bottlenecks really are (that is, from an end-application standpoint).

-Charlie