From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ed Leafe
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FoxPro / Igloo / CVS - Questions

On Aug 28, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Kevin O'Shea wrote:

> 1. Is there a way to prevent simultaneous check outs of files for
> specific modules in CVS? I have seen reference to the "cvs admin -L"
> command which seems to allow reserved check outs - does anyone know if
> this is what I need to set? Also, it must be module specific, as there
> is another team using CVS that will want to be able to do simultaneous
> checkouts (as a last resort, we could set up a separate install of the
> CVS repository for our team).

        You must have a lot of experience with Visual SourceSafe. That
product keeps everything off-limits to editing until you check out
the file. Most other version controls do not work that way:
everything is editable by default. It is up to the project management
to manage who is editing which file.

        This approach works great in the world of text files, where
simultaneous editing can usually be easily merged together. It
doesn't work so well in the VFP world, where a single file can hold
several classes, and the binary nature of the files prevent them from
being merged easily.

        CVS does have the concept of setting yourself as the editor of a

file, which will prevent others from checking in their changes, but
for VFP files other than PRGs, the best option is to make sure your
classlibs are not too broad.

> 2. Does anyone know how to handle the potential issue of the
> repository
> growing substantially with the check in and check out of class
> libraries
> (and other files)? Is there any compression utility which can be
> incorporated with CVS?

        No, can't say that I have. One option would be to check out a
copy
at a known point (i.e., after a release), archive the existing
repository, and then use the copy as the basis for an import to
create a new repository.

> 3. Does anyone have experience with third party tools to see a more
> Source Safe GUI or report that will give more information on what
> developers have what files checked out, etc. I have seen a few in
> searches on the net - just wondering if anyone has any preferences for
> certain ones.

        I use SmartCVS for a Windows GUI for CVS. But to be honest, I
rarely
use it, preferring to just use TortoiseCVS to integrate version
control into Windows Explorer.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com