> The thing is, no matter what development approach is taken,
> lots of doc, little doc, there is a key factor most places ignore.
> Development team motivation. You show me a motivated, empowered, and
usually small
> development team, and I'll show you an unbeatable combination for a
> project. Such a team could be harmed by Agile or harmed by
> doc-to-the-max.

Defending the 'doc-to-the-max' approach, there's a subtle consideration
that deserves mention: that sometimes looking at even a (scanned)
scribbled note brings back a conversation or line of thinking. True,
it's nice to have fleshed out explanations instead of just a scribbled
note, and this is an extreme example, but we do deal with mountains of
information and, for small shops especially, there just aren't the
resources to pretty everything up.

> And when the motivation is gone, so is the productivity. They
> key is to match the process to the team, not force the team to a
process. Best
> situation: let the team choose the process they want. You may
> think the 'lazy' approach would always be taken. And maybe it would
for
> the first project. But when a team actually sees they have the power
to change
> things, you'd be surprised what results.

No question you're right. Also I think MS's "out with the old, in with
the new" handling of the software proposition has done much damage to
dedicated people, because there is no semblance of permanence to the
work. When we coded assembler solutions in the 70's, we had every reason
to think we were building something that would last "forever", but in
the MS world it doesn't work that way, it's all here today, gone
tomorrow, and that feeds a different breed of - CYA - people who are
better at surviving then building.

Bill