On Oct 6, 2006, at 6:09 AM, Andy Davies wrote:

I started to post a quick reply to the effect that my ISP
<http://www.eclipse.net.uk/> offers static ip(s) at no extra charge - you
have to prove a need to get more than 2); and that GoDaddy offers a
'dedicated hosting IP' for $2.99/mo.....
then my head started to hurt because these aren't the same thing (are
they??) - the static IP from my ISP is me here (?), and also
www.hawthorn-cottage.com (?) - whereas my hosted sites with GoDaddy (e.g. http://www.andy-davies.com/andy/) are dsn entries pointing to a GoDaddy
server (aren't they??) - so what is a 'dedicated hosting IP' ?

A static IP address is an address that your local ISP provides for you to connect to the internet. Anyone on the internet can then contact your machines via that IP address.

A 'dedicated hosting IP' sounds more like they will assign one of their internal IP addresses to your hosted account. IOW, instead of having to access your site with a URL like http:/godaddy.com/andy- davies/, which shares the godaddy.com IP with everyone else with a similar package, you have the URL that you do, which has its own IP.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com