I was unable to use insert with memo fields so I used append blank &
gather memo.  This worked fine on the small files but my concern was two
huge files.  One was a dbf and the other was an Access table.  When I
converted the Access data I used nvl() on each field.  I also appended
blank and gathered on a temporary file created with copy structure.
This allowed me to add records without updating the indexes (which I
have many - I use the VMP framework).

Doing the above I was able to take the import for almost two hours down
to 5 1/2 minutes!

Thanks all.

Jeff

Jeff Johnson