On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Paul Hill <paulroberth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Michael Madigan <mmadi10...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Why would Thanksgiving be a pagan festival?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving
>
> When Europeans first arrived to the Americas, they brought with them
> their own harvest festival traditions from Europe, celebrating their
> safe voyage, peace and good harvest
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_festival

----------------------------

Why not look at those people instead?

Despite the colony's relatively short history, Plymouth holds a
special role in American history. Rather than being entrepreneurs like
many of the settlers of Jamestown, a significant proportion of the
citizens of Plymouth were fleeing religious persecution and searching
for a place to worship as they saw fit. The social and legal systems
of the colony became closely tied to their religious beliefs, as well
as English custom. Many of the people and events surrounding Plymouth
Colony have become part of American folklore, including the North
American tradition known as Thanksgiving and the monument known as
Plymouth Rock.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Colony>

>From the people who were members of the colony I feel that your
references to the holiday are inaccurate.  This is Wikipedia and the
rules for submission and your background lead me to think that an
atheist wrote the article and intentionally neglected the population
of the colony.

YMMV

--
Stephen Russell