From: profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On
Behalf Of kamcgin...@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 1:38 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: [NF] WinZip ripoff warning

I recently purchased the latest winzip update as I usually do. The last time I
used it I got the usual popup about a
free update. I always get this as it usually has some bug fixes, etc. Because
of a previous bad experience with
Symantec, I quickly glanced through the licence agreement. Corel (which ownes
winzip I guess) has a sneaky hidden
agreement buried down in the license agreement to automatically bill your
credit card which they have on file from your
last purchase (illegal I am sure to keep this without written permission) for a
yearly 'subscription' (for what, who
knows). It says if the credit card is declined for any reason you still owe the
subscription fee. I did not install the
'update'. I'll bet this is an update to the license agreement only. I hope
someone files a class action suit for keeping
credit card information on file without permission.

Needless to say this is the last winzip version I will ever buy. I am
interested in alternatives. I have several now
that I like more than winzip, however, I need the ability to span DVDs. My
backup always takes at least 3 DVDs. Winzip
almost always crashes on the last DVD so I have been saving 3 files to a
folder. Then I use a free utility CDBurnerXP to
write each of the 3 files to DVDs. I find this is faster than using winzip to
write to the DVDs when it works which is
only about 1 out of 3 times.