-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Scanners and how to use them
From: M Jarvis <brewda...@gmail.com>
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Date: 2/21/2012 4:42 PM
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Garrett Fitzgerald
> <sarekofvul...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm looking at adding remote scanning functionality to a POS system
>> for a small store. Given people's past experience, does it make more
>> sense to get a wireless dumb scanner that sends keystrokes to a
>> back-room app, or a smart scanner that stores up the list of UPC codes
>> and uploads them all at once? Thanks.
The nice thing about going w/ "dumb scanner and back-room app" is that
normally, if there's a problem of some sort, the operator knows about
right then and there... storing up all the scans might let problem(s)
slip through the cracks...

For example, if you scan a barcode that for some reason isn't in your
system, it could bark at the operator to address the situation right
then and there...

If you allow an invalid barcode number in and upload it, then how are
you going to go find the item on the shelf to double check what the
heck is going on with it?

The self-contained scanner/collection devices (scan, scan, upload batch)
that I've worked with all allow for a list to be uploaded, then an
internal routine validates against it. With memory so cheap these days,
the capacity can easily be in the thousands of data items (SKUs)

Mike