Hi Ken,

I've been married to one for over 30 years, and I know many others. Perhaps
> it will make things clearer to take a long view.

Yes, it does.

> That does not change the fact that touch-screens are not efficient at all

 for blind users.

That is true and might explain our different perception... Where I live
blind people are organized in quite powerful groups. Our governments pay
blind people an extra allowance each months that is supposed to offset any
extra cost caused by being blind. Public employers are also required to
favor blind persons (or people with any disability, for that matter).

As a result many blind people work in places that are either not optimized
for efficiency (such as public agencies) or do not require extensive data
entry (many jobs involving telephones). While this certainly decreases the
number of jobs available to blind people here, they are not in a
competition with sighted people.

At the work place the employer is required to provide necessary tools. At
home, though, it's health insurance that covers a lot of expenses. Like
everywhere in the world health reimbursements have been reduced here. For
instance, they used to pay for a full braille line (80 characters), yet are
down to 40 characters now. The iPhone (mostly, less the iPad) is cheaper
than many tools specifically designed for blind people, but helps
tremendously outside of work where efficiency isn't a matter, but
independence and flexibility are.

Christof

multipart/alternative
  text/html