From: Mike Copeland [mailto:m...@ggisoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, 26 April 2012 7:21 AM
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: Re: lockng issues

My understanding is that when you, for example, SEEK to locate the one
record you want to UPDATE, then REPLACE (without ALL or FOR or WHILE) then
it will lock only the record being updated.

As UPDATE is an SQL command (as opposed to xBase) I'm not sure if it behaves
the same or not. But I would expect that if you execute an UPDATE...WHERE
that optimization may kick in and lock the file header instead of the
individual record.

But to be fair, I started moving away from shared DBF files years ago and
have never regretted it. I let the database backend worry about the locking
issues now.

Mike Copeland