I agree with Hal Kaplan about the the [IBM]keypunch machines and the
terminals not supporting lower case - the early VDU's (2260's) actually had
their character sets hard wired (iirc 8x5 wire frames with small ferrite
rings at the intersections where you wanted a dot).
Unix's use of case is a little strange because it always seemed to me that
it was designed for I/O using teletypes (most other[serial] devices
emulated tty's) - and tty's (at least early ones) used 5-bit Baudot code
which did not have lowercase (it actually used Shift chars for numerics,
and I think some people supported lowercase using either binary zero or two
letter-Shifts as lowercase shift).

btw I remeber devising a document compression algorithm for IBM masm that
used 5-bit encoding with a set of single/ double-character shift sequences
that allowed single character encoding of pre-defined or dynamically
calculated strings of arbitrary length (pre-defined would be common words
&c. - dynamic would be based on frequency analysis of the source).
Of course it was universally recognised in those days that you couldn't
patent an idea, algorithm or computer program <g>

Andrew Davies  MBCS CITP
  - AndyD        8-)#

you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

Please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] with any queries.