From: profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com]
On Behalf Of Lou Syracuse
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:40 AM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: [NF] Business Notebook Recommendations

We looking for recommendations for business-level notebooks.   My
company is looking to purchase at least 6 notebooks right away for key
personnel as part of our disaster recovery plan.   These will be desktop
replacements, which will attach to a USB3 docking station when in the
office, and the users will take them home with them each night.    This
is also part of a pilot program where we may buy 20 more notebooks for
other managers and key staff members 3 months from now.

Here are the requirements I have been given:

-MUST ship with Windows 7 Professional.   The IT staff doesn't want to
deal with in-place upgrades on each laptop.   We are not planning to
upgrade to Windows 8  any time soon (who is?)

-At least 1 USB3 port required for docking station, which will drive
dual monitors in the office.   IT has already picked out the docking
station.

-One vendor. One product line if at all possible.   Most of the machines
will be identical, but not all.  See below...

-Most machines will probably be lower-level i5's with 15" monitors,
good/better battery life, average specs.   Being able to take to
meetings and not take up the
              Entire conference table is important.
-One will be a little higher up the food chain, probably with a 15"
monitor, 2 hard drives preferred(primary SSD would be awesome), good
battery life.
              Must boot quickly.   Mobility is important here too.
-One MEGA machine, i7 processor, at least 8GB RAM (the more the better),
2 hard drives preferred(primary SSD would be awesome), no 5400 RPM
drives,
              17" monitor.   Processing power is more important than
battery life.    Mobility not so important.

Yes, the latter machine will be for me.  LOL

The two sticking points seem to be i7/17" monitor combination and
Windows 7 Pro.    We have been suggested to avoid HP, who unfortunetely
makes a LOT of i7 17" notebooks, so I may have to go down to a 15"
screen as well.

I know it is a lot... I spent a couple of hours looking at sites last
night and was a bit disappointed at what I saw.   The redesign of the
Asus site is terrible and needs a redesign - no way to compare features,
just look at one system at a time based on product number (which has no
meaning to the user).   Sorting through options at PCMall and NewEgg
wasn't much better...

As always, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Lou

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---