The VFP9 help for sys(2015) says:
    Calling SYS(2015) more than once during the same millisecond
interval returns a unique character string.

Meaning that the result will still be unique even though you call it
more than once in the same millisecond.  I ran Paul's code in 3 seconds,
which generated 1 million strings and then compared them for duplicates.
  My observations indicated that the generation took much less time than
the comparison, say on the order of 1 second.  This would be 1000 calls
to sys(2015) per millisecond, and I encountered NO duplicates.

Personally, I'd rather use autoincrement, but I still don't see any
evidence that sys(2015) generates duplicates.

Dan Covill